4 || valentine's

On a much quieter, more humble side of Wynsmith, the ocean waves pull up against the cliffs of a peaceful waterfront shopping district. Although the noise of the active nightlife is still present when walking along the boardwalk, it feels distant, like a muted ambience that covers those strolling the seaside in a veil of serenity. Mariko has never wandered in this area. So bewitched by the sparkling lights of the energetic center city, it simply hadn't crossed her mind. But now, as the sea breeze sweeps over the shore and carries with it a scent so welcoming, so sweet, she can already picture herself coming here much more often in the future. It seems private, in a sense. An exclusive spot sequestered by those same bright lights which had kept Mariko's mind so busy for so long. Yet Sebastian managed to carve a decisive path here without stopping once to check his map. Even if he hadn't spelled it out for them, Mariko, Boey, and Alias could all draw the conclusion that he's been to the waterfront a handful of times.

The reason being, as Sebastian explains to them on the way, a man by the name of Julian Valentine who happens to run a shop on said shopping district. Because 'of all the things that dude could do in a fantasy world where the sky's the limit, he chose to run a business.'

"I'll give 'im props, though," he adds, just as the four of them are coming up on the shop in question, "he's good at what he does. And I mean it's not like he has to make end's meet or nothing, so he can close up shop whenever he feels."

"Looks like he has already," Mariko notes.

They've reached their destination — House of Valentine, reads the handwritten sign on the window, Custom, hand-tailored apparel. Coffee and tea served inside as well, only during store hours. We're not open right now. Leave.

"Oh, well," sighs Boey. His mouth twitches as he tries to subtly push Mariko away from Sebastian. "Looks like we missed him. Hey! Thanks anyway, but we should really be going now. C'mon, Mari-"

"No, he's definitely still home," Sebastian hums, attempting to peer through the blinds on both the door and window. "See, there's light bleedin' through. I'll bet the door's unlocked, too. Jules knows I like to drop in~..."

He tries the door handle. Sure enough, it opens, and without the slightest hint of shame, Sebastian steps into the shop with the biggest grin stretched across his face. Mariko pushes Boey in ahead of her, then gestures for Alias to follow before they all head inside.

"Sebby, I know that's you," drawls a voice from across the room. Looking up, Mariko sweeps her curious gaze around the shop's interior on her way to find the owner. Across neatly spaced rows of vibrantly-colored and decorated jackets, she soon comes across a stranger folding fabric behind the front counter, their back turned in apathy towards the door as though they couldn't have cared less who just entered — well, they knew already, as their words suggested. And seeing as they're the only person around, this must be Julian. This tall, slender man dressed in a tight-fitting grey vest and magenta button-up shirt, his rich, healthy-looking black hair pulled into a beautiful high ponytail which reaches halfway down his back.

Julian Valentine, a stranger as elegant in appearance as in name. As he twists his neck ever so slightly to glance at Sebastian approaching the counter, Mariko catches a glimpse of the moon-shaped earrings dangling from his ears. Envious, she touches her own ear and the edges of her hair. Meanwhile Boey's eyes sparkle. He can't deny he's envious, too — of both the earrings and the man's luxurious hair.

"You think I'm joking about the tally mark sheet I keep in the back," Julian says with a shake of the head. He returns to his task of folding fabric. He hasn't noticed the others yet. "Just because you go a few days without your spontaneous, unwanted visits doesn't mean I'm any less intolerant of your bullcrap. Closed means closed. You're not special. Now get out."