5 || the garden city

Most of the shops in the waterfront shopping district open around 6 am, according to Julian. Just a little after sunrise, and from there on out, civilians and travelers begin to come and go at a fairly moderate rate. Nothing crazy, he tells them, unless there happens to be a special event or function of some kind on the waterfront that draws in a lot of tourists — the players, that is. But this morning is like most. A calm and peaceful sunrise over the ocean, with little commotion on the boardwalk to draw any attention to the five travelers bound for New Floravale.

At least now it's less of a hassle trying to hide Alias from the public's eye. Julian set her up with a simple yet attractive new ensemble; a loose-fitting black jacket with thick golden strips along the hemlines, matching cargo pants of the same color scheme, and a shirt underneath that doubles as a mask and covers up to the bridge of her nose. The material is opaque enough to block the light her body gives off. And the hood of her jacket adequately protects her hair from view, as well.

She seems rather pleased with it all, Mariko can't help but notice. Walking alongside her down the boardwalk, she notes the sparkle alight in the idol's eyes, not to mention Alias's frequent, conspicuous glances at the new outfit, extending her arms and twisting them about so as to admire every inch of Julian's generous handiwork. Mariko shares in that admiration. She doesn't find it strange or boring at all, why someone would want to set up such a lovely shop on a seaside street and pass the peaceful days away making clothes and drinking tea. Especially if such an innocent dream were not easily attainable in the real world for him.

Sebastian, on the other hand, has exhibited a much more loose, go-with-the-flow attitude that suggests he isn't leaving anything behind in choosing to accompany Alias and the others on their journey. Proudly assuming the role as leader, he walks at the head of the group as they close in on the travel port that would be taking them to New Floravale. Anticipation builds with each step. The outpost is nothing special — quite a similar appearance as the original one used to enter Paracosia at the beginning, but merely the sight of it fills Mariko with a bubbling excitement.

"This will be a first," Alias breathes. Mariko and Boey turn to her simultaneously. They're on the bridge leading to the outpost's entrance now. It isn't surprising to see a noticeable increase in travelers coming to and leaving the open gates.

"What, you've never been to New Floravale?" Boey asks.

"She probably means using the PIPTIA services," adds Mariko.

"No, he's right." Alias's eyes become narrow as her gaze falls on the cobblestone walkway at their feet. "I've never been outside Wynsmith before. Prince Lotus has visited me here many times, but I've never had the opportunity to witness his home in person."

Mariko finds herself at a loss for words. How unexpected. She would have thought someone of royal status would have less freedom to travel than an android — not that Alias is any less important, of course, as she is also a Keyholder. Then again Mariko is aware she only knows the surface level of Paracosia's lore. There must be a good reason. Perhaps one that was meant to be learned over a long course of time spent here.

Amidst their brief talk, Alias, Mariko, and Boey start to lag behind and have to pick up their pace once they notice the two gentlemen waiting with arms crossed by the open gates. Sebastian soon begins sweeping one arm through the air as if to say, 'hurry up, slowpokes.'

"This ain't a school trip, you know," he then says, hands on hips as Mariko tries to slip past him and into the building. He grabs her by the back of her shirt collar. "Slow your roll, Mars, we gotta talk about something first."

She bites back a smile and steps back to stand next to Boey, whose face crinkles at the nickname.

"Mars...?"