23 || mono alone

Wandering aimlessly around the village questioning civilians wouldn't do them any good this time around. This time, the quickest way — and quite possibly the only way — to get the answers they're looking for is to speak with Mono himself. And that means heading directly to the place of his imprisonment. The only prison in Bluegate, they discover, and quite possibly the only establishment that rivals the village's grand temple in size and majesty. It would appear the kitsune take the incarceration of criminals very seriously here. The prison even sits on a level of the mountain higher than most of the village's housing, and that same temple as well. Like a great tower, overlooking its people with a stern, dutiful eye.

Much like with Kasey's observatory, Mariko and the others have to climb a steep, lengthy stretch of stairs to reach it. On the bright side, at the top of that final staircase, their destination is within reach. Not much more walking to be done. On the not-so-bright-side, the first thing to greet them at the top is the sight of two armed kitsune guards standing watch just outside the prison's front entrance. Metal breastplates and gauntlets adorned with red and gold ribbons are clasped over the light clothing they wear underneath. Protective helmets are carved in such a way to allow their pointed ears to poke out comfortably from the top. And those ears twitch at the sensing of approaching guests.

A brief stretch of snow-powdered grass lies between where Mariko stands and the feet of these alert guards — in other words, between her and the obstacle she needs to pass to get to the truth of what's going on in Bluegate.

"What's with the party?" asks one guard. His black-furred ears twitching again, he clutches his spear tighter and squints at each of their faces. "Oh, you're all travelers. Look, this isn't the best time for tourism, alright? 'Less ya came for the P.E..."

"Physical education...?" whispers Boey.

"Pretty sure he's talking about the public execution," Mariko whispers back.

"Oh..."

"Hey! Quit muttering 'mongst yourselves!"

At the raising of one of the guards' spears, everyone is urged to at the very least offer respectful attention. Soleil's patience wears a little thin, however. It isn't long before she nudges Mariko's arm and gestures ahead at the guards, as if to say 'you can go ahead.' And Mariko only needs a moment to make the connection as to why.

She clutches the straps of her backpack on her way up to the guards. They don't see her as a threat, clearly — in fact, if she isn't mistaken, Mariko swears she even sees them soften up as she gets closer. Letting their guards down more, ironically, as if somehow swayed by a charm she didn't even realize she possessed.

"Ah, l-little traveler girl," says the guard with the black-furred ears. As he sniffs and stiffens his posture, Mariko now sees clearly a faint hint of redness on the kitsune's cheeks. "Forgive me, you—you just remind me so much of my daughter..."

Ah, so that's it.

"Nora??" chimes the other guard, failing to mask the grin that stretches across his face. "Yes, I thought so, too!" He turns to Mariko with one hand cupped around his mouth to direct the sound of his voice. "Nora is my niece. You look just like her, just...without the tail and ears."

"Oh, I want to go home and see Nora..."

"Keep it together, Feng, you know we have the long shift today."

"I know, Liu, I know...ugh, of all days for that filthy Galac's execution to fall on... Nora's birthday! As if that good-for-nothing hasn't done enough damage. Ohhh, my poor baby Nora, all by herself at home, without daddy!! She must be so lonely..."