12 || to be a thief

The girls weren't far enough away, nor had they been speaking so quietly, that Sebastian couldn't overhear the gist of their conversation with Jugo. Even above Boey's and Julian's indifferent chattering and the whirring of the gadgets they were tinkering with, he picked up what he needed to pick up. And even if he hadn't, Soleil's expression alone would have been enough to give it away. Stepping out of the castle together, she still holds two keys. Lotus's and her own. No less, no more.

It is disappointing, to put it mildly. But Mariko tries to stay positive. Jugo hadn't forcibly kicked them out. Although she was tempted to accept the offer for a tour, needless to say it wouldn't have been appropriate at the time — rather, Soleil didn't even give her a chance to consider. And rightfully so. Given Jugo's reserved personality and their current circumstances, it seems in their best interest that they leave as soon as possible, while still on good terms. They would have to come back eventually, after all. Perhaps with a stern, handwritten letter from the prince, advising Jugo's sincere reconsideration to the matter of lending his key to them for a higher cause...

Still, it leaves Mariko feeling conflicted. Jugo took things far above a mere pessimistic outlook. Seeming so willing to die, as long as it meant he could die with people he cared about — well, that much Mariko isn't even confident of. The diner lady's words still ring in her ear.

"The Warden's cruelty knows no bounds, to have left that van Os in charge of us. A loving child could have led us with greater dignity..."

How on earth he could care for a people who drag his name through the mud so openly is beyond her. The duties of a Keyholder must be so much more than she could have ever imagined. And Mariko still understands so little. By the way Jugo made it sound, the current state of Hollowmire has nothing to do with any recent incidents. This must have happened a while ago, long before the 'approaching catastrophe' that Soleil was trying to warn him of. If that's the case, his personal lack of concern adds up.

At least...sort of. It bothers Mariko all the same. He said he didn't need them to understand. But she really, truly wants to.

He looked so sad. And lonely. If only the prince could have come with them. She would have loved to see a smile from Jugo. Something in her heart cleaves to the hope that they would some day, and that maybe, just maybe, this Vault of Restoration could bring light back to Hollowmire as well. That it could do more than just turn back a clock. Because to an extent, Mariko empathizes with the Keyholder — if she had the chance to see her father again, knowing that the inevitable conclusion would be his life being taken so suddenly and cruelly again, she's not sure she would have the strength to do it.

"So here's what I'm thinkin' — Mars, you listening, kiddo?"

Barely. She was staring at a discolored patch of the stone wall they're all standing next to. But at the utterance of her name, Mariko straightens her posture and offers Sebastian a firm nod. His gaze turns skeptical.

"Mm...alright, well, I think I'm thinkin' we went in there with our hopes a little too high," he soon continues, facing the rest of the group. "Never fear, we still have our trump card."

"But we already showed him the insignia," Boey pouts.

"Not that. I'm talkin' the prince man himself."

Mariko nods again. So he was thinking the same as her.

"So what you're saying then is that this was a complete waste of time," Julian deadpans. At the slightest delay in Sebastian's response, he releases an exasperated sigh. "Honestly, why did I even bother coming along...? I could be peacefully sewing in my shop by the ocean right now."