Katsuo—no that wasn't his real name. Kairo.

Normally, humans weren't given names and instead identified by a series of digits. Livestock had those numbers branded on the back of their necks in their coming-of-age ceremony when their blood was first drawn for vampires to drink and they were finally given a real name. 

In the orphanage where I grew up, we were also identified by temporary digits before we were supposed to undergo our own coming-of-age ceremony. However, we secretly referred to one another with nicknames since they rolled off our tongues much better. I was the one who gave Kairo his name, and he called me Suvi in return. 

Kairo and I came from the same orphanage, and he was protective of me like an older brother. He had been there for much longer than me. He defended me from the other kids since I was a late bloomer, sneaked in special treats for me after dinner time, and tutored me in my studies. I was happy with him by my side, and I was content to stay that way forever.

However, everything changed one fateful day.

"Suvi," he called me to the empty boys' bedroom, "I have something important to tell you." His eyes darted around the room nervously before he promptly closed the door. 

"Wait," I pointed out, grabbing his arm, "We aren't allowed to clo—"

He put his finger to my lip, gesturing for me to quiet down.

"Listen carefully," he implored while embracing me in a hug, "because I can only afford to say this once." 

I nodded my head in response, flustered by his actions. I had never seen him act this way before. What was going on?

"I have made arrangements for us to escape this place together. Tomorrow, I want you to leave this building through the back doors. If anyone stops you, just tell them you're going to use the restroom or make up another excuse. I'll meet you under the big apple tree at noon."

I looked into his warm olive eyes and agreed to his proposal. I would be willing to go anywhere if it was with him. I had complete faith in him. And in the middle of that very day when everyone else was sleeping, I sneaked out of the girls' bedroom to meet him there. 

I made sure to get there early, and I was overjoyed to see his silhouette standing under the base of the tree. But I was surprised to see another taller figure with him. As I got closer, I was horrified to see that they were drinking Kairo's blood since vampires were forbidden from drinking the blood of minors.

It seemed as if they were too engrossed in their activity to have noticed me, so I waited until they were done before I made my entrance. I watched Kairo hide the fang marks on his neck with a scarf when the vampire was done feasting. And I slowly approached them feigning ignorance.

"Suvi," He smiled kindly, waving his arms. I ran to his side and clung to him while giving the vampire a dirty look.  

"Who's that guy?" I probed, scrutinizing the stranger. He had short-cropped white hair that barely reached down to his pointed ears and piercing blue eyes that still shone with hunger. Every part of his face was sharp and angled as if it was he was an art piece sculpted by a Renaissance artist. I almost shivered when I saw him reaching his hands toward me and hastily hid behind Kairo who swiftly swatted the vampire's hand away.

"I didn't know you were hiding such a cutie," the vampire mentioned, giving me a leering look. 

I returned his gaze with a glare.

"Forgive me, Lord Rigel," Kairo pleaded, dropping to his knees, "but I can't let you touch her." 

I almost couldn't believe what I saw. We've spent so much of our time in the orphanage fantasizing about killing vampires and returning to the human world. Yet Kairo was bowing his head to one right now.