epilogue

The same nightmare tormented me again.

The cave was dank and empty, and although there were signs of life: the blanket on the floor, burnt-out campfire, and wash cloth that was still warm to the touch. The life that was once there was now completely gone.

I turned every stone upside down, searching for her. When nothing showed up, I refused to leave the area, relegating myself to living in the shabby cave in the hopes that she would be able to find me if she ever came back.

Suvi?

I slowly blinked my eyes open, finding myself staring straight into familiar eyes of smoldering coal that had provided warmth and comfort on many cold nights. I backed myself away from her and cleared my throat. I couldn't repeat the same mistakes. I needed to protect her.

"Emi, what are you doing?" I probed her, putting on a stern voice. She seemed different today, somehow more cheerful and relaxed. What had happened in the death game?

"Kairo, aren't you going to give your long-lost little sister a hug," she asked with a teasing smile, wrapping her arms around me.

I felt my heart leap out of my chest.

I wanted to reciprocate. I wanted to put my arms around her. I wanted to hold her and take her away from this dangerous world, but I couldn't move. I could only sit there, dazed and confused in her embrace.

I was still shocked when she let me go, her warm touch lingering on my skin. She had ended the embrace too soon. And I craved her warmth once more.

"I brought you some food now that you're awake," she said, opening a container that sat on the rolling cart. She took a spoonful of the porridge and blew on it to cool it down before pointing at my mouth. "Say ah!"

I couldn't help, but oblige her request and opened my mouth to take in the nourishment.

Although the taste was bland, it brought back such nostalgic memories. I remembered making the same dish for Suvi whenever she was sick. I would patiently help feed her while she rested in bed waiting for her fever to subside.

I turned around to face her. It was the first time that I had seen her up close. I hadn't dared to look at her with such leisure before.

Small button nose. Long lashes that rimmed her large almond eyes. And full lips the color of plum blossoms. Some things never changed. Even though she had matured in other areas, I could see that she was still the same Suvi as before.

"What happened?" I asked as calmly as I could, turning around to notice that I was in an unfamiliar room with elaborate decor and drapings.

"Well let's just say that I won the death game," she answered succinctly. Attempting to brush the topic aside, she continued. "How do you like the congee? I made it myself."

"It's good," I replied.

"Want some more?" she pointed another spoonful of the porridge at me.

I didn't answer.

I wanted to let go, but I couldn't. I wanted to believe we were safe, but the mistakes of my past still clung to me. Fresh in my mind.

"Kairo, please don't rack your mind over this. I just want you to rest and recover. Everything will reveal itself in its own time. In the meantime, I'll take care of you." She pleaded, squeezing my hands. Her eyes were earnest and sincere, brimming with concern.

"Promise me you'll never leave my side then," I demanded. Even though I knew it was a selfish request, I couldn't forgive myself if she ever got hurt. Since I was still injured, I would just need to make sure that she stayed within my line of sight at all times.

I held my pinky finger out.

"Of course," she smiled, pinching my cheeks, "How could I ever leave someone as adorable as you?"

She interlocked her pinky with mine, chanting the same phrase that we had used in our childhoods before sealing the deal with our thumbs.

I wished I could freeze this moment in time so that it could last forever. So I could finally achieve that perfect fairytale ending. My happily ever after.