"I almost thought that you had remembered everything," Lord Rigel smirked, his hands gripping Kairo's shoulder who was still unconscious, "But then you couldn't even recall my name."

I glared at him, my hands curling into tight balls of fists.

"Same greeting as ever I see," he snickered, "I guess you haven't learned much these past five years. How does it feel now that almost your entire so-called family is dead?"

I took a step forward, ready to lunge at him before I saw his arm reach toward Kairo's neck.

"Any sudden movement and you can say goodbye to your dear friend over here." His fingernails traced Kairo's bare neck. I couldn't stand to see his face so close to Kairo's.

"And you're as despicable as always," I muttered under my breath, but I gave in to his words and backed down, lowering my gaze.

"I wonder why you're still so set on his saving his life," Lord Rigel questioned me slyly, trying to provoke me as he caressed Kairo's face, "After all, he was the one who abandoned you that day."

"And I wonder why you're still alive," I quipped, "Shouldn't you be six feet under right now?"

"Well, it's true that vampires are killed when their heart is destroyed," he said with a playful smile, "but who said that my heart was in my chest?" He wrapped his arms around Kairo, giving him an embrace from behind. I felt my blood boil. I wanted to tear him apart, but I was trapped here and unable to lift even a finger to defend Kairo.

"What do you want now?" I asked in a bitter tone, my voice laced with lethal poison.

"Oh I'm just looking for some fun," he answered with a smirk, "and you've been very entertaining so far. If you want to save him, you already know what you need to do right? I shouldn't have to ask you again y'know?"

I stiffened, and plopped to the ground, dropping to the same pose that I had done so many years ago. Was he right? Had nothing changed at all?

"I humbly beg you to please release Kairo," I beseeched, pressing the palms of my hand on the floor.

"Release?" he teased as he clapped his hands, "Do you mean the sweet release of death? I'm going to need you be a little more specific. Louder this time too. What happened? You were roaring like a lion just a few seconds ago and now you're as a quiet as mouse."

I gritted my teeth, but tried again, making my voice as disgustingly sweet as possible, "Please take mercy on us on Lord Rigel who is most noble and wise! Please heal Kairo's injuries, ensure that he is safe and sound, and grant him his freedom! In exchange, I will be your obedient pet who is willing to travel the length of the Earth just to be with you! It is such a blessing for me to even be able to listen to your voice and it will truly be an honor to serve by your side!"

"Hmm," he muttered, closing his eyes while resting his chin on his hand as if deep in thought.

This was it!

I wasn't the same person as I used to be. I was stronger. I could take him on now.

I pounced, pinning him underneath me, but I was surprised to see him smiling back at me.

"Do you really think the same trick will work on me again," he said in a nonchalant manner, "I guess it's true that old dogs can't learn new tricks."

"Your life is in my hands right now!" I yelled at him, my fingernails digging into his wrists, "If you don't give me what I want, I can't exactly guarantee that you'll be able to take your next breath."

"Go ahead then," he goaded me, "Don't let me be the one to stop you, but you might just destroy someone else's heart." I didn't understand his meaning until I recalled what he said earlier. I placed my ear against his chest, and I was surprised when I heard a beat. Impossible! Vampires didn't have beating hearts.

I lifted my face off his chest and thoroughly inspected his face. Piercing blue eyes. Sharp angled face. This was still clearly the same vampire I had met five years ago. He hadn't aged a bit.

"You're staring so intently at me that you're making me blush," he remarked, the corner of his mouth curling into a smile. "Could it be that you're falling in love with me?"

"As if!" I spat out, shooting him a hostile glare.

"But y'know, your friend's heart is beating so fast in my chest right now."

I froze in place. Kairo's heart was in Lord Rigel's chest. That couldn't be.

"Don't worry, your friend is fine. I had his heart replaced, but if you kill me now, you might as well have killed your friend. And then you would truly have no family left."

"Why should I believe you?" I retorted, my voice shaking with anger.

"Well it's not like I have anything to lose," he said, letting out a weary yawn, "suit yourself then, but don't say that I didn't warn you if things don't go the way you expect."

I was so close to killing the wretched bloodsucker, so why was I hesitating? Could Kairo's heart actually be in his chest? Was I willing to make that risk?

I paused, glancing over at Kairo who was still unconscious. Although five years had passed, I could still recognize him. His tanned freckled face looked so peaceful in his sleep, and I had the strong urge to comb my hands through his wiry ginger hair.

Did he still recognize me as his little Suvi after all these years? He must have. After all, he had been looking after me all along in the death game.

I wished he was awake. I had so much to tell him after being separated for so long. I knew no matter what that he would still accept the person before him as the same Suvi who had once clung on to him like bur seed on cloth.

I loosened my grip and turned back to Lord Rigel.

"So you've finally come to your senses?"