I awoke to a small whoosh of breath playfully tickling my neck and slowly blinked my eyes as they adjusted to the brightly-lit room. I turned over to see a pair of murky-gray eyes staring back at me.

"Look she's awake," the little boy with the cloudy eyes exclaimed, impudently pointing his finger at me. Startled by his sudden outcry I quickly sat up and noticed I was resting in a comfy bed. My attire was different too: my school uniform had been swapped for a set of plain pajamas. 

I looked over at the lively youth and asked, "Am I in a hospital?" 

"I don't know," he chirped, "but you slept for a really long time!" 

"Emilia!" I turned towards the source of the voice. It was a boy from my school, I recognized the embroidery patch on his dark blazer. But I had never talked to him before, so how did he know me? He waved excitedly and flashed a smile at me. "Come here," he yelled, motioning at the circular table, "and you too Apollo!" The little boy swiftly scrambled down and I followed. The boy from my school was seated around a circular table with several other people whom I did not know. Although I wanted to take a seat next to him, both neighboring seats were already occupied. 

"You're next to me," a girl with russet skin piped. Her curly hair was wound into a tight bun that was neatly nestled atop her head. I hesitantly walked over and sat down next to her. There engraved onto the table was my name in all caps: EMILIA. I ran my fingers over the etching, feeling every groove and ridge as if I couldn't believe it was on there. 

"So why are you here?" I swiveled my head in the direction of the question. Gazing at me were a pair of hostile, verdant eyes. My stare fell toward the foreign embroidery patch on his school blazer. He cleared his throat, "Well?"

"Umm," I begin fretfully, "I-I really don't know?" I still wasn't sure whether the nightmare I experienced was really real or just a delusion but the mere thought of it still sent tingles down my spine.

He scoffed, "You don't know? Well, that really answers my question—"

"Lay off of her, would you?" another person chimed in, I recognized his voice, it was the boy from my school. "None of us really knew how we got here alright?" he asserted, "I mean we already told you all we know and it's the same thing every time." The other boy's face flushed to an angry cherry-red, but he didn't say a word anymore and simply adjusted his scarf. I squirmed in my seat, as it grew uncomfortably tense in the room. 

"Why don't we all introduce ourselves since I just woke up," I suggested hoping to quell the tension, "my name is Emilia, but everybody just calls me Emi for short." I waited anxiously, hoping for someone to follow up on my lead. After several seconds had passed, the boy from my school finally spoke up.

"Oh, I'm Asher," he chimed in while combing his ash-blonde hair with his hand. I was grateful for his response. I did not want to turn the tense environment into one that was both awkward and tense.

The girl next to me added, "My name is Tajana, but just call me Tana if that's easier." She smoothed a ringlet of curl that framed her face and let it bounce back. Her giant gold hoop earrings dangled precariously on her shoulder. 

"Tajana is it," a girl with a bob who was not much older than me remarked, "that name sounds oddly familiar, my name is Sophie." Sophie rested her head on her hand and pushed her thin, gold-rimmed glasses up her nose, only for it to slide down again. "Have we met before?"

"I don't think so," Tajana answered politely.

"My name is Apollo," the small boy exclaimed, "and this is my sister, Lilith!" A girl with pigtails playfully punched Apollo's arm. Her luscious chocolate locks swayed with her lively movements.

"I can introduce myself just fine," Lilith blurted, a pouty look clouding her face, "I'm Lilith."

"Rahim, I play football," said an older dude with a headband strapped across his forehead, "or soccer, whatever you prefer."

A girl with wavy blonde hair turned her head, "Isabella, a pleasure to meet you all." Although she addressed everyone, her eyes were transfixed on Rahim. However, Rahim did not seem to respond to her provocation and she almost looked disappointed.

"I'm Jun," said a girl with sleek shiny black hair and pale white skin. She was stunningly gorgeous. "I hope we can all get along." She smiled and motioned toward an older man next to her.

"Alexander," he gruffly mumbled, "I'm Jun's coach." 

"Zhen," added a small young man sitting next to them. There was still one last person, who hadn't introduced himself yet. I looked at him, and he seemed to have calmed down but when our eyes met, his face flared again.

"Fine," he barked, "the name is Katsuo." 

Lilith chortled, "Cat soul?" 

"No, it's Katsuo!"

"But cats don't have souls," Apollo quibbled to his sister's amusement. Katsuo remained visibly upset, but a small smile tugged at the corner of his mouth. Maybe he wasn't all that bad. 

Immediately, a clear, booming voice echoed throughout the room. 

"Attention all participants, the door to the bedroom hallway will now be unlocked. There will be two bunk beds in each room, so four people will be assigned to each room and there are three rooms total. However, you approach room assignments is for you to decide but just remember you will not be able to switch—"

"Hey," Katsuo yelled, "who are you, and why are we here?" The announcer ignored his questions and continued its address unaffected. The voice sounded robotic and artificial, there wasn't a hint of emotion that seeped through its words. I couldn't even discern where it came from, it was as if it was emitted from the air itself.

"—good luck. Your first assignment will arrive soon," it ended with a piercing beep.