Part Five: Past and Present

Nevermore - The Woods - Crackstone's Crypt - Night

My head is killing me. And not in a good way. The last thing I remember...Laurel hit me with a shovel. Coward move. And Tyler. She controlled him again. I can't blame him though. She's a master manipulator. If she wasn't killing outcasts, and normies and trying to kill my friends I would've applauded her. My thoughts were interrupted by the crunch of twigs and leaves. I forced my eyes to open and looked around.

I was hanging upside down on someone's shoulder. I tried to move my hands and legs and realized they were tied together. At least she was smart enough to do that.

"Don't squirm. She'll notice." The small whisper of a voice caught me off guard but she knew that voice anywhere.

"Tyler?" I was still a little out of it and was pretty certain I had a concussion.

"Yeah. It's me. I hope I didn't scare you earlier. Had to make it seem real. Before you ask, Weems is fine. She went back to the school to make sure everyone was safe and locked in." Hearing this made me sigh with relief.

"I saw the way she talked to you and was afraid she had control of you again," I said this, a small echo of worry in my voice.

"I promised you that I would be okay. With you on my side I know I'll never lose control again." I couldn't see it but knew he had that small but warm smile on his face. Hearing that made a small smile appear on my face as well.

"We're almost there. Close your eyes." I understood and instantly went limp. I guess my uncanny ability to look half-dead came in handy once again.

After a few more minutes I heard the familiar creak of the crypt doors and the brisk walk of someone who wasn't Tyler.

"Excellent job Tyler. Now." I heard the familiar jingle of chains. "Chain her from the ceiling. We don't need her getting any bright ideas.

I felt myself being hoisted onto a hook attached to the roof of the crypt. I finally opened my eyes and looked at Tyler, his back turned to Laurel so only I could see his facial expressions. He had a look of worry and nervousness. I quietly mouthed to him saying not to worry. He gave me a quick nod and started to help Laurel do what she was doing. I could see the jar filled with the victims body parts from the basement of the old Gates mansion being placed in a circle around Crackstone's tomb. Tyler finally came back up to me.

"Kind of a deja vu thing we got going on huh?" His face had changed back to its original emotionless state.

"Except I won't cry and whine like a child." He growled, pretending to be angry at the comment.

"Tyler, go wait by the boat. Any surprises along the way, take care of it." He nodded and made his way out the door. I swung my body so I could slightly see the door and realized he was waiting just outside in case something went wrong.

"I have to admit Wednesday, that little surprise with Weems showing up almost worked. But my father always told me if you want to outsmart an outcast, you have to out-think them. And I have been out-thinking you from the very beginning." I rolled my eyes and scoffed at her.

"If you count out-smarting as being sloppy, clumsy and allowing me to find all the clues I needed to figure out who you really are then sure, you out-smarted me." I smirk at this remark and can tell Laurel was not happy. She walked up to me and pulled out a small knife, placing it against my throat.

"You're lucky I need you. If I didn't, you would've been the first outcast I killed when you arrived at Nevermore." She looked at the knife and chuckled. "Hmm. You're good Wednesday. Trying to provoke me." She put the knife back in her pocket.