Chapter 2 - Part Three: Spies and Lies

Interesting how the world works. I was standing face to face with a potential murderer and who could be the man who tried to kill me. His hand was extended, an air of politeness in his smile, but I know from personal experience how a nice smile and helpful nature could be hiding something much more sinister beneath the surface.

"Wednesday?" I snapped out of my thoughts and saw James talking to me.

"Sorry. I've had a lot on my mind recently." I took his hand and shook it, my face staying in its normal emotionless state. If this man was the James we were looking for, I did not want to give away what I knew. But as I shook his hand I noticed he shook with his left hand.

The other three followed my lead, each shaking his hand and politely saying hello, making sure not to give away that they were afraid, even though I could tell they were.

"Well, I will look forward to seeing the four of you in my class this year. Principal Weems." He gives her a nod and grabs his bag off the chair, throwing it over his right shoulder, flinching just a little, so small I barely saw it, as if he hurt his shoulder. He heads out the door, giving everyone a final wave. As soon as the door closed, a collective sigh was heard, even from me.

I turned to Weems and immediately asked. "Where did he come from?" Her expression changed to confusion.

"Well, that's a very personal question Wednesday. Why do you ask?" I pulled the photograph out of my bag and placed it in front of her.

"Because that man may be the same person who killed Laurel a few days ago, and tried to kill me and Tyler yesterday." Shock now covered her features. 

"I heard about the attack on the highway but didn't know you two were involved." She looked at the photograph thoroughly and flipped it over, reading the names and years on the back. I explained my vision and our trip into town that was interrupted. She stood up and looked at the fireplace, contemplating.

"Do you have anything concrete that connects him to the man in this photo?" Unfortunately, I did not.

"Not yet, but I will." Weems sighed and sat back down, rubbing her temple.

"Since I am not keen on another Thornhill situation, I'm going to do a little digging into his resume and references, and see if they all match up. For now, you will not make any accusations or alert him that you are investigating him. If you plan on doing anything that may get you into trouble, consult with me first before doing so." I was surprised to hear that Weems believed me so quickly. But the last time this happened and she tried to roadblock me, people died.

"I almost forgot. Mr. Galpin, I have something for you." She walked to a small closet in her office and pulled out a Nevermore uniform. She handed the uniform to Tyler. "Your application has been approved. Welcome to Nevermore." I watched Tyler smile and look at me. My face didn't move but I was smiling on the inside. Ajax clapped him on the shoulder and Enid was excited.

"You will be rooming with Ajax, so you two can go start getting unpacked. Enid, you may wanna give Tyler the tour as well. I need a word with Wednesday." They all nodded and Tyler gave me a quick wink before the three of them left. She took a seat in one chair and I sat in the other.

"Last year was a little tense between the two of us with everything that was going on." I raised an eyebrow.

"I think that's putting it lightly." She brushed off the comment and continued.

"My need to protect this school's reputation over listening to your truth was what almost destroyed us. So I am sorry for that." This caught me off guard. The last thing I expected from her was an apology. I usually gloated about being right after someone apologized but this time I didn't want to.