The Fall of a Jaeger and a Good Man

Hello lovelies! Sorry about the wait, life has just been crazy! But here's a nice long chapter to satisfy you. Or kill your feels- whatever floats your boat.. *grins innocently*

DISCLAIMER: I only own my own twist on Del Toro's amazing movie! Thanksies and enjoy!

 "Alec, will you-" I tried once again to start a conversation with the closed off Sergeant, but to no avail as he walked right out of the room and off to sulk somewhere.

 Two weeks had passed since we had been permanently stationed at the Sydney Dome. Marshall deemed it best for us to stay put and bring the pilots to me. One by one, I interviewed each Jaeger team several times. My favorite had been the Becket brothers, their pick-at-each other brotherly love was infectious and always put me in a good mood.

 Interviewing the Hansens together had been interesting. Most of the time, Herc bit his tongue at his son's smart-ass comments. I was more astounded at how Chuck acted around everyone else verses how he acted when it was just the two of us. We were hardly ever alone unless we bumped into each other in one of the many hallways. When I wouldn't see him all day, I could always find Chuck in the same spot I found him my first day in Sydney. That would lead to long talks well through the day. Sometimes we'd sit until the sun started setting, spraying everything with oranges and reds.

 I had been thinking about our talks too deeply that I didn't even notice someone had entered my office until paper slapped down on my desk. I jumped visibly and looked up just as Alec was turning a broad shoulder toward me, heading back for the door.

 "Enough." I said. He had his hand on the door handle and froze in his steps at my clipped tone.

 "I'm sorry I didn't tell you about my military background, okay?" I sighed, running a hand through my wavy locks. Several heavy seconds passed between us.

 "Don't you think that's something I needed to know?" Alec asked while still facing the door.

 "You never asked." I shrugged, lowering my tone. Alec was quick to whip around to face me, taking the few steps needed to stand opposite myself.

 His posture was tight, shoulders thrown back while his chest was puffed out a bit, asserting dominance.

 "That's up there on the list of conversation starters including relationship status and occupation." He said, ticking off the items with his strong fingers.

 "You know my job, I'm currently single, and I was a pilot in the U.S. Army for a few months before I was transferred out due to funding going to the PPDC." I leaned back into the chair, watching Alec as he looked everywhere but at me.

 A strong hand reached up and raked itself over his freshly buzzed head. When his chocolate eyes met my hazel ones, I was shocked to see a flicker of emotion cross his features and the flushing of his cheeks before he looked out the window, releasing a breath.

 "Jesus, you act like you're my boyfriend." I commented, trying to lighten the intense mood.

 I didn't even think about it before I said it. I started to take it back when Alec gave me his full attention again.

 "Well, obviously someone has to look out for you!" That left the air in the room feeling even heavier. I was finding it hard to breath as we gawked at each other.

 "N-Not that I'm insinuating that I want to be your-" With a hand to his mouth, he cut off his sentence and sighed loudly. He moved his hand to his hair next and started looking out the window as he shifted his feet. "And it's not that I wouldn't want to be-" It was my turn to look away. My face was starting to flush and it was getting harder not to smile at Alec's fumbling.