Friends

"Nanami... I think we're moving too fast..."

His face slowly morphs from content to one that seems to have misheard something. Y/n holds her breath and bites both cheeks, unable to handle the anticipation of what he has to say.

"Well, that's one way to get someone's attention," he says, tugging at the collar of his turtle neck. "Could you possibly explain what you mean?" he asks, his face now fully focused on y/n with very little emotion..

Please let this go well...

"Well, to be honest with you, Nanami, this whole thing that's been happening since we arrived here has been... how should I put this, ironic and a bit fast-pased," y/n says with gesturing hands, hoping he'll get on track with what she's trying to say.

Nanami keeps the same expression, insinuating he wants y/n to continue.

"Ugh, Nanami, what I'm trying to say is... how is it that a couple of days ago, we were just coworkers, and now we're acting like a young couple going out for a weekly dinner date? Doesn't this seem a little too fast for you? Doesn't it feel forced? how do we know... we'll be good for each other. Are your feelings... genuine? Or are you just doing what feels right at the moment?"

That was it. That is mostly everything y/n had on her chest. As she waits for something, anything, from Nanami, she begins to think about what she feels towards this whole thing they have going on. Does she truly like Nanami? That first night with him was the happiest she had been in a very long time, but does that mean that she can pretend they didn't have a rocky start and have always gotten along? Relationships like these take time, and for them to already be acting like this around each other is a bit strange to y/n. They don't know anything about their personal lives.

"Oh... I apologize if I was too forward, y/n. I guess you're right in a way... we've never had these types of interactions until now."

Y/n looks down at her hands, her vision going blurry from the tears she's fighting back. Why are the tears forming in the first place? Who knows. One can only assume it's because she doesn't want to hurt one of the only people who has shown genuine positive feelings toward her. She also doesn't want this whole encounter to be the reason their relationship and connection stop developing.

As all these thoughts swirl in y/n's head, she feels a warm hand on her own. She blinks away the tears in her eyes and looks up, only to be met with Nanami's dewy eyes.

No no no... what have I done.

"Nanami, this doesn't mean anything has changed for us. In fact..." she says, gently pulling her hand away from his grasp, "this gives us an opportunity, does it not?"

Nanami takes his hand back and places it on his lap. "An opportunity?"

"Yeah!" she says enthusiastically. "Truth is, Nanami, we are far from being normal people, as much as we may detest it. We have dangerous jobs and are constantly putting our lives on the line for the sake of others. We are strong sorcerers with unimaginable powers. It's taken us years to master what we do, and relationships take just as much to develop. You get what I mean now?"

Nanami leans back in his seat and takes a moment to breathe. It seems like a bit of the weight that has been pushed on him in the last few minutes has lifted. "That was a really good analogy, y/n," he says with a chuckle and a soft grin. "It seems I just can't get my mind off work."

Y/n smiles and sighs, shaking her head at him.

"So what steps do you think we should take from here on out?" he asks.

"Well, I think before a romantic relationship can even become a consideration, we must go through our friendship phase. If we immediately lust after each other without having that platonic connection first, it probably means we are only looking to date an idea of ourselves."