Chapter 3

Chapter 3:

My head was down, while I examined the pavement relentlessly. I couldn't ignore the pang in my chest as I relived Trey's earlier words. They projected through my mind thoroughly. The image continuously flashed of him with such concentration and devotion.

So, the minute the bell shrilled, I was out the door. I was going to the one place where I knew I would be safe, and just think. It was like a routine, I didn't even have to look to know where I was going.

I passed through the familiar meadow of flowers, automatically my body relaxed. The stress flowed out in a river method, with each step further more and more released. As my fingertips caressed the branches, it was as if it was sucking out all negativity.

The invincible feeling was back.

As I stepped out, the cliffs were in full view along with the steady lake it made the smile break out on my face. Setting myself down easily on the side of the boardwalk, I gradually pulled off my shoes. Testing the water with my toe, it was thankfully somewhat warm.

I giggled softly at the feel of the fish swimming around my feet, once in a while stopping and grasping air.

"I knew I would find you here," I didn't have to spare a glance to know who it was, his husky voice was enough. I said nothing in response, except continued to gaze into the crystal clear water, sparing the fish a look.

"Isn't it funny how when we think, it's always in our own special place," He pointed out, while easily setting himself next to me. His legs were bent in front of him, with his hands rested loosely on his knees.

"When I was little," he began in the middle of rubbing his nose with the corner of his thumb, "I used to come here with my sister. We used to go swimming, but we had to be straight back before dinner. If we didn't, there would be trouble, by trouble, I mean big trouble."

He was quiet so I thought he wouldn't be saying anymore, regardless, I stayed silent. I knew whatever it was that was coming, it was serious. Something a lot of people never knew about him, something deep to him. I pushed aside the slight pride that consumed my well-being. Anyone would be proud to grasp such personal information, it was a reassuring gesture.

"Lexis, used to be so scared." He recalled, in his deep train of thought. Gazing off into the distance, it was like I wasn't there, just as if he was telling himself. "He used to be so angry, furious. The veins would pop out noticeably in his neck, and his face would be laced in red."

"Even if we were three seconds late, it would mean consequences." He let out a strangled laugh, letting his head sway with no emotion. I didn't know what to do, so I did what I did best, stayed silent. I analysed every move, every breathe he dared. It was a habit, I had to know people. I longed to be able to understand the feelings of another person.

Only because I didn't understand my own, the inner voice shouted at me and it wasn't lying. I believed it, I knew that was the truth, but it killed me. It tore me apart that I knew I didn't know how I even felt myself.

"Some would be so extreme, the punishments, I mean." He told me, quickly glancing at me to gather a reaction, once he seen I had none, he continued. "A lot of times it would be a belt, or maybe a bottle. Except, when he got irritated with us, it would be a stick. I got it all, thankfully. She was so young it would break her. If I was there, I would do everything to stop her from enduring that pain."