Chapter 25: Not Again

Alex had been quite confused (and very tired) when he woke up early on Thursday morning and Sarai wasn't there next to him like she had been Wednesday night.
     For a moment, it felt normal. He'd been so used to her absence that, when she actually wasn't there, it didn't feel wrong. He lay there for a moment, his mind whirling with deja vu, and for a second, it felt like he was stuck in the past, because that same feeling of loneliness he felt now was so awfully familiar.
     And then he blinked, and blinked again, and sat up fast, looking around.
     A thin layer of alarm settled in his chest. She wasn't in the bedroom. Alex got up and walked to the restroom, gently knocking on the door.
     "Sarai? You in there?" He waited for a second, receiving no response, and a chill raced down his back. "Oh, no."
     He turned and rushed into the living room, swiveling his head to survey the kitchen as well. Not there either. Alex ran to the balcony, shoved open the sliding door, and gazed out. The rays of the early morning sun shone through the cloudy sky, gusts of cold wind whisking about. The sudden realization that Sarai wasn't in the house sunk in, dropping into his stomach like a brick.
     The good news; he knew where she had gone.
     The bad news; there was a very real chance she could die.
     "No, no, no, no, no." He raced back into the bedroom, grabbed his phone, and quickly fired off a text into the group chat.

                       Thursday, 6:26 A.M.

                                                                            Me:
                                              Anyone seen Sarai?
                                                    Sent at 6:26 A.M.

Aaron:
no. y?
Recieved at 6:27 A.M.

                                                                            Me:
                                                         Shes not here
                                                    Sent at 6:27 A.M.

Čåľľîê:
I was abt to ask the same thing. I cant find Marie
Recieved at 6:28 A.M.

Aaron:
jeez what did u do to ur name? why is it built like that?
Recieved at 6:28 A.M.

Čåľľîê:
shut up u dork i like it this way
Recieved at 6:28 A.M.

Aaron:
fight me you soggy lampshade
Recieved at 6:29 A.M.

                                                                            Me:
                                                       srsly guys? istg
                                                    Sent at 6:29 A.M.

                                                                            Me:
             theres more pressing matters at hand
                                                    Sent at 6:29 A.M.

                                                                            Me:
                  callie when did you last see marie?
                                                    Sent at 6:29 A.M.

Čåľľîê:
idek man last night? she made me move in with her abt a year ago cuz she "doesn't trust me on my own anymore" which personally I think is just rude tbh
Recieved at 6:29 A.M.

Čåľľîê:
shes been acting a little weird throughout the week tho
Recieved at 6:29 A.M.

                                                                            Me:
                                                                 how so??
                                                    Sent at 6:30 A.M.