Chapter 27: That's A Problem

Alex certainly wasn't expecting to find Sarai and Marie in the condition they were in. In all honesty, he was expecting to find them much worse.
     However, he'd be lying if he said his eyes hadn't widened in shock when he saw the duo.
     Marie sat, eyes closed and pale, next to Sarai, her head pillowed on the Octoling's shoulder. Her right eye was swollen and beginning to color a light purple, her nose and lower lip were bleeding, and there were a few cuts on her left shoulder.
     He turned his gaze on Sarai, who met his eyes. She didn't look too badly injured, but the fact that she was injured at all made him tense with anger. From his angle he couldn't quite see, but there appeared to be a small cut on her neck (Whoever did that'll die for it, he thought) and another, longer one on her right side.
     "That's a problem," Alex said, pulling his phone out of his pocket. He dialed Aaron's number and pressed the phone to his ear.
     The dial tone rung twice before he picked up. "We're lucky I have my phone on vibrate and not sound," The Inkling muttered. "What is it?"
     "I found them," Alex said softly, glancing around to check if anyone was there. "Get back to the car, I'll be out in a sec."
     There was the sound of a small arguement, and then Aaron yelled something like, "Hey! Give it back!" And Callie's voice stage whispered into the speaker.
     "You found them? How's Marie? Is she okay? What about Sarai? Where are you guys?" The Inkling asked.
     Alex glanced at Marie again and hesitated. "Sarai's fine, I don't know about Marie."
     "What?" Callie's voice wavered. "What do you mean, 'you don't know'? Isn't she right in front of you?"
     "More or less," He said. "Look, Callie, just go with Aaron and get to the car. I'll be right there."
     He hung up and shoved the phone back into his pocket, offering his hand to Sarai. "How do I get you both out of there?"
     She took it, and they stayed like that for a moment, in silence, before she gave his hand a squeeze and let go. "If you get off the pile, I can move one of the boxes. I did it to get us in here." Sarai said, pulling off the scarf around her neck. She tied it around her side with a wince.
     "Sure, but I'm moving the things out of the way, not you." He said, clambering off the mound of crates. "You just look after Marie."
     He heard a small huff of disagreement, but she didn't say anything. Alex jumped off the last box and searched for one he could pull out of the way. "What are you two hiding from? And what happened to Marie?"
     "We were attacked," Sarai answered softly. She let out a small, sour chuckle. "Someone threw a knife at me, and they beat Marie. I tried to help, or stop them, or something useful," Her voice was rising. "I took out a few of them and so did she, but it wasn't enough. There's a lot of them, Alex. How did you and the others not run into anybody on the way?"
     "Nobody was in here," He responded, hooking his hands around the edges of a box. Alex took a step back, pulling the crate with him, and kept on doing so until it was far enough out of the way. "We just walked right in."
     "That sounds like a trap." She said sharply.
     "Yeah," Alex moved around the box and crouched in front of Sarai, pulling her into a hug. "I know."
     She wrapped her arms around him. "I'm sorry."
     They didn't move for a while. There was something so awfully precious about being held by her, this beautiful Octoling who had stumbled into his life and he'd just been lucky enough to meet. The thought of her in danger of any sort made him shudder, because he had lost her once and wasn't willing to do so again, because he didn't know what he'd do without her. It sounded pathetic to him, not being able to function properly without her, but it was true.
     Alex finally pulled away, holding her by the shoulders. "What were you thinking?"
     Her brows lowered in annoyance. "Alex, can we please talk about this later? You seem to have forgotten about, oh, I don't know, our unconscious friend sitting right behind me. We have to go before they find us."
     "No, I wanna know." He said. "What was the thought process? What was the point? You were both attacked!"
     "Exactly!" She cried. "So can we just get out of here and talk about this in the car? I don't wanna wait around to get killed and neither do you!"
     "Fine," He huffed. Alex moved past her and grabbed one of Marie's hands, pulling it past his neck and over his shoulder. Sarai did the same on the other side and they stood, walking towards the exit.
     It was oddly creepy, seeing Marie so still and pale. It felt more like carrying a dead body than a friend. It cast a tightness in his chest that sent alarm spiraling into his mind, because he didn't know what he'd do if he lost one of them to this little "trip".
     "You look mad," Sarai mused.
     "No, I'm just upset that the sky is blue today." He said sarcastically. She gave him a look. "Yes, I'm mad! You told me you weren't gonna go. You promised. On the way here, I kept thinking, 'We're not gonna make it in time. They're gonna die.' Do you know how absolutely terrifying it is to me, the thought of losing you again?"
     They turned into the corridor leading up to the exit. Alex could see the large room with the ramp up ahead. "That's exactly why I did this!" Sarai argued. "You're always telling me that you can't lose me again, and how you don't know what you would do if anything happened to me, but does it ever occur to you that I feel the same way? I know that..."
     Sarai's voice trailed off as Alex stopped listening, because he could've sworn he had heard footsteps. He stopped walking, which, in turn, dragged Sarai back as well. "Hold on, could- could you just pause for a second? I heard something."
     "Oh, are you trying to get me to shut up now? Don't wanna hear it?" She bristled indignantly. "At least let me make my po-"
     "Sarai, seriously, please stop." He interjected. "I heard footsteps."
     She fell silent and looked around. "I.. don't hear anything."
     There was a light thump and they exchanged a glance.
     Alex pulled out the staff and flicked it out, debating whether or not they should run, which would be difficult with Marie hanging between them, or if he should let Sarai get to the exit with the Inkling and he would hold off anyone who tried to stop them. The latter would probably be safer for them, but more difficult for him to get out.
     "How many did you say there were?" Alex asked quietly, straining his ears to listen. His eyes darted around the room.
     "Too many for us to hold off with Marie," She responded, her voice tense. "The exit is right there, let's just go."
     "Yeah.." He trailed off, hearing more footsteps but unable to find the source. "Okay."
     They continued forward and quickened the pace a bit. He kept the staff out, just in case anything happened.
     A tiny, almost inaudible shink sounded behind them as they went up the ramp.
     Alex's eyes widened.
     He shoved Sarai and Marie out of the way, turned, and whipped the staff in front of him in one swift move.
     The blade collided hard with the metal and ricocheted off, sending a loud clang echoing throughout the chamber and chills up his arms.
     Alex looked up, his hearts pounding.
     A singular Octoling stood at the threshold of the corridor behind them. For a moment he could've sworn it was Gabriel- he had the same attire and hairstyle- but little by little, he noticed the differences. There was no burning rage in this Octoling's eyes, but a mere anger. There were no piercings, no rings, and the jacket wasn't stained with teal ink. His hair was similar to that of Gabriel's, but this one only had the mohawk, not the other two strands and the ponytail in the back accompanying it.
     He exhaled in relief.
     The Octoling cocked his head, eyes drifting to something behind him. Alex followed his gaze and realized that he was glaring at Sarai, who was trying to edge up the ramp and get out. He felt mildly upset that she was trying to get to the exit without him, but that was what he wanted in the first place.
     "Where do you think you're going?" The Octoling hissed, drawing what looked like a hilt from his side. Alex stared at it in confusion before realizing that it was a switchblade.
     "We're leaving," He said, tightening his grip on the staff as he slowly stepped backwards up the ramp. "Don't try to stop us."
     The Octoling raised his brows incredulously. "Seriously? 'Don't try to stop us'. Seriously? I am literally holding a knife, what gave you the idea that I wouldn't try to stop you? I swear, you Inklings are idiots."
     He heard the creak of the doors behind him as Sarai stepped out with Marie and prepared himself to run and shut them as soon as he was out.
     The Octoling raised the knife, smiling grimly. "I'll have you know," He said. "That I have perfect aim. I never miss."
     Alex felt a rush of deja vu as he backed further away. The door was practically behind him now; all he had to do was turn, get out, and shut them.
     A breeze came in, brushing hot wind across his back.
     He and the Octoling locked eyes.
     "I never miss."
     Alex whirled around and ran, hooking his fingers on the open door so he swung behind it, and shoved it closed.
     There was a loud thunk, and the door trembled as the blade sunk into it. The very tip of the knife was poking out of the wood.
     He turned to Sarai and Marie, who had finally lifted her head and was looking around in bewilderment. "It's hot out here."
     Sarai laughed a little. "Are you okay?"
     "Kind of. Ish." Marie said.
     "Good. I'm sorry for dragging you with me."
     "Eh, no worries. I had fun. I never get to snipe that many people anymore since I don't really play Turf."
     "Do you think you can climb the fence? We need to get out."
     The Inkling looked up. "Doable. I guess."
     The fence was an operation itself; they were over it a few minutes after they started. After a quick glance around, they sped to the car.
     "How did you guys get here?" Alex asked Sarai as they went.
     "We took Marie's car." She responded. "Oh, shoot. We need to bring that back too."
     He sighed. "Marie, does Callie know how to drive?"
     "Yeah."
     "Alright. You and Cal can go in your car, because you should probably be in a hospital right now. We'll take mine."
     "Sure."
     The car came into view, Callie and Aaron already waiting inside. Callie spotted them and instantly rushed out, hugging her cousin. Sarai got in, climbing over the backseat to sit in the row behind it. Aaron was sitting in the backseat, and Alex got in the driver's.
     "Hey, wait!" Callie said. "What about us?"
     "Sarai and Marie took the car to get here." He explained. "We need to take it back, and Marie probably needs to be in a hospital. Can you take her?"
     "Oh. Well, yeah, duh, obviously I can."
     "Great. See you back home."
     He stuck the keys in the ignition as they walked away, and they were out on the empty road a second later.
     Nobody said anything for a while. The more he thought about the situation, the angrier he got. But it was less anger and more... fear? There was an odd urgency to it that he couldn't explain. He was mad, yes, but less at Sarai and more at her decision. It scared him that he could've lost her so easily, and that was what was making him angry.
     The car was in complete silence for an hour or two until Sarai spoke.
     "Alex, I know you're mad at me, but-"
     "Of course I'm mad!" He cried. "You were attacked! You could've been killed! Marie could've been killed! You both could have died!"
     "At least let me finish, you jerk!" She shouted. Alex felt a flare of temper in his chest but stayed quiet. "I'm sorry that I left, and I'm sorry that I lied to you. I thought that, if I talked to Gabriel in person, if I really tried, that I could get him to stop. I know he has good inside him. I know it."
     "Yeah, I'd think so too if I could still see out of my right eye." Alex muttered bitterly.
     "Pardon?" Sarai said sharply.
     "I said," He started. "That I would think so too if I could still see out of my right eye! Your brother is the villain here, Sarai!"
     There was a stunned silence.
     "Oh, but don't take my word for it," Alex continued, gripping the steering wheel so hard his knuckles went white and his shoulders tensed. "I'm not the one who hid a bleeding wound for a week and didn't tell anyone about it!"
     "Why would you say that?" Sarai yelled.
     "Well, it's true, isn't it?" He shouted back. "If we're on the topic of trying to get you killed, I might as well list some things, right?"
     After a moment, Sarai sighed. "Aaron, could you drive, please?"
     "Uh... sure." The Inkling said awkwardly.
     Alex pulled over and got out to switch seats. Thankfully, the road was empty.
     He opened the back door and climbed over the backseat, taking a seat next to Sarai. After a moment, the car pulled into motion again.
     "I'm sorry." She said quietly. "I was just trying to keep you safe."
     "There is a cut on your neck!" Alex cried. "Why are you so intent on keeping me safe? I can do that on my own! Besides, I don't think running off to your brother, who has tried to kill me at least three times, is the way you do it! I cannot lose you again! I love you too much for that, Sarai!"
     "You have no idea what it's like, do you?" She yelled. "Having to watch you constantly be in pain? Do you know how terrifying that is?" She took hold of his hand. "Do you know how scared I was when Gabriel cut your eye? At your mom's house, when I ran downstairs and you were hurt? Can you even fathom, Alex, how absolutely horrified I was when the team dragged you through the grate to Octo Canyon after the fight we had? I had to watch that."
     "I-"
     "No, Alex. No. I am tired of seeing you get hurt! It makes me sick to see you in pain!" There were tears in her eyes now. "I just want you to be happy! I just want you to be safe! I love you, Alex! As much as you can't lose me, I can't lose you. You have to stop worrying about me!"
     "I can't do that, Sarai!" He screamed.
     "Why not?" She yelled back.
     "Because I love you!" Alex shouted. She stared at him for a second, eyes wide. "Because you mean too much to me! Because I'd probably kill myself if anything happened to you! I can't lose you, Sarai!"
     A long pause ensued.
     She looked away, guilt and defiance battling across her face. He sat back and let out a breath, turning his head to look out the window.
     "I'm sorry," Sarai said again. Her face was a bit pale. "But Gabriel's the only family I have left. I'm not going to say that we should look for him, or that this was a good idea. And, after everything he's done to you, and Aaron, and the team as a whole, I can't say that I love him anymore. I'd be lying. But it doesn't sit right with me that my only living relative is the one causing us trouble, and I guess that it'll never sit right with me, since Gabriel clearly doesn't wanna be bothered and I'm not going to try. Maybe at some point in the future, but-"
     "Can we please just stop bothering with Gabriel? Look what-"
     "Oh, for god's sake!" Sarai said, rolling her eyes. She took hold of his chin. "Stop arguing with me!"
     And, with no further words exchanged, she pressed her lips against his.
     Alex sat there for a second before wrapping his arms around her, because this felt like a moment that he could be stuck in forever with no regrets at all.
     And when they finally parted, his only regret was pulling away.

     They got home almost an hour later. The rest of the drive had been spent in silence, with the occasional "oh crap" from Aaron when he took a wrong turn or something else.
     Alex was tempted to ask the Inkling to drive faster since Sarai's complexion kept getting paler. He couldn't figure out why, though. His first thought was immediately ink loss, but the only visible cut was the one on her neck. The possibility that it could've been something worse worried him. But he figured that it'd be fine.
     Aaron parked the car and pulled the keys from the ignition. "Can I stay with you two for a bit?"
     "You don't need to ask, Aaron." Sarai said with a light smile. "You're fine just coming in when you want."
     "Sweet. Thanks."
     Sarai kept a hand on his arm the whole way up to the apartment, and he couldn't figure out whether it was a show of affection or if she was just holding on because she didn't feel well. He prayed it was the first.
     Alex opened the door and let them in first. Aaron immediately took over one of the stools in front of the counter, pulling out his phone, and Sarai took a seat on the couch.
     "Sarai, I'm gonna go get some stuff to clean you up, alright?" He said. She looked up, seeming a bit dazed, and nodded.
     A shiver of worry ran up his back, but he turned and hurried to the restroom to find what he needed.
     It was a bit sad, in his opinion, that he instinctively knew in advance where all the things that proved to be medically useful would be. Alex grabbed a bottle of antiseptic, a small can of salve, and searched for the bandages.
     They weren't in the drawer he was looking in. He closed it and pulled open the medicine cabinet behind his mirror. Not there either. Confused, he tried Sarai's mirror. Where were the bandag-?
     "Alex!" Aaron called from the living room. He looked up. "Get over here!"
     He stood and rushed over, his hearts speeding up.
     Deep down, he already knew what was going to happen.
     "What's wro-" Alex stopped mid-sentence.
     Sarai sat, paler than he'd ever seen her, limp on the couch. Her hands were over her right side, where she'd tied the scarf, and her eyes were closed. He reached out, trembling, and gently brushed her arm. Her skin felt clammy.
     A violent shudder ran throughout his whole body, his ink running cold, his eyes flaring wide.
     "No, no, no no no no," He shook her, horrific outcomes already speeding through his mind. "Sarai! Wake up! Please, no, not again. Sarai!"
      She's dead. She's dead and it's my fault for not noticing sooner. She's dead. She's dead. She's dead.
     Memories were flashing before his eyes. The ceremony held in her name. The speech he'd given. The funeral.
     "Sarai! Wake up! Sarai!" Alex yelled. Tears rushed to his eyes and this time he couldn't stop them.
     Three years of solitude. Hopelessness. A bouquet of flowers placed on a lonely gravestone.
     "What's wrong with her?" Aaron cried, his voice trembling.
     "I don't know!" He grabbed his head, cold sweat running down his back. "Call an ambulance, 911, something, anything!"
     Please no, not again. God, no.
     "Sarai!" He shouted. "Please! Please wake up!" What's wrong? What's the problem? His mind raced.
     Endless texts of "i miss you" and "come back".
     Alex took hold of her jaw, searching for a wound, anything that would tell him what happened.
     Wait.
     ...but there appeared to be a small cut on her neck and another, longer one on her right side. He recalled.
     Sparks of alarm and panic flared in his mind as he took hold of her hands and removed them from her hip.
     The scarf underneath was wet with ink. Sarai's hands were stained pink.
     The world came to a shrieking halt in that one moment.
     Everything seemed to fade and the only clear, overwhelming emotion he felt, was rage.
     And the only thought?
     I'm going to kill Gabriel.

     Just a few minutes later, Alex sat anxiously in the waiting room of a hospital with Aaron. Praying to a god he wasn't sure existed, begging that Sarai would be alright.

golly boy do i love writing
I hope you enjoyed!!
Sorry for any typos and the awkward release time.
Word count: 3603