Chapter 36: Hate

Alex woke up with a jolt in the middle of the night.
     A random, heavy sadness filled his chest as he sat up, but he couldn't figure out where it was from. He could still feel the pain from the beating he'd taken, but not enough to cry. He didn't necessarily feel sad, either.
     He chose to ignore the odd feeling for now and rubbed his eyes, looking around. For one blissful moment, he almost thought he was back home. Maybe he'd fallen asleep on the ground, which explained his aching back. But then he remembered all that had happened and sighed.
     For some stupid reason, Nic decided he had to go back for Alex after he'd escaped. Deep inside, he was grateful and appreciated the sentiment. That being said, he was also incredibly irritated. The boy was finally free and instead of finding his way back home, he came back. He knew that Nic was still just a kid, and crossing a desert as such was probably just as perilous as staying, but come on.
     Nic slept in the other corner of the room, his back arched into the wall and his limbs curled in. There was a lack of a lot of things here, and unfortunately for them, heating was among them. Most of the time, it was very cold in the room.
     He lay down again, this time on his side, his back throbbing in pain. Alex hadn't known what he'd been hit with until Nic told him, and suddenly it made sense why he wasn't able to breathe properly for almost an hour afterward. Even still, he couldn't take a full breath without feeling like his lungs might burst.
     Already eight days in, and his hope for rescue was slowly dying out. Part of him was upset; where were his friends? The rescue teams looking for Nic? Didn't anybody care about the little boy? But then, he remembered the layout of the land when walking in, and had quickly realized that this was a different base than the one he'd visited months earlier. So it made sense if no one had come, because likely nobody knew where it was.
     A long shiver ran down his back and then back up again into his stomach. Nobody knows where we are.
     The heaviness in his chest grew, and he let out another sigh. Better to go back to sleep and hope it went away.
     He closed his eyes, picturing his group of friends, his family. Picturing a happier time. Picturing Sarai. And then, he suddenly knew why he was sad.
     Alex had never believed in the supernatural, the illogical, or having bonds so strong that people swore they could sense the other's feelings. If it didn't make sense or didn't fit into the world's rules, it likely wasn't real.
     But in that moment, he knew that somewhere, maybe a million miles away, his partner was sad.
     He sat back up, knowing full well he wouldn't be able to sleep after this new discovery. The pain from his head and back wasn't contributing either. Not to mention the soreness from his arms from having to force himself back up to standing over and over again.
     Alex reached a hand towards his lower lip, which was now split open towards the middle and stung whenever he talked. He'd been kicked in the face one too many times and thus, it had cracked open. With the loss of a mirror, he didn't know for sure, but it felt like there was a bruise on his chin, too.
     He reached to put his hands in his pockets and realized with a sinking feeling that he no longer had his jacket.
     Doubling the intensity of said sinking feeling, the ring was in his jacket.
     Alex rose almost instantly and quickly regretted it as his stomach lurched. He hadn't eaten for his whole stay and feared that he'd have to eat the slop soon.
     The door was, as usual, locked. He had the sudden impulse to kick it down, knowing that he'd probably be able to, feeling as though the ring was the most urgent thing.
     The bruises on his back stretched and pulled as he moved his shoulders, sending zigzags of pain through his limbs. He shivered at the thought of the sledgehammer again, and decided not to. He'd wait until the next guard came, tell Nic the plan. Alex knew his only goal was to find his jacket and get the ring, but this could also be the escape plan coming alive. He could get out today.
     Determination set into solid concrete in his mind. This time tomorrow, he wouldn't be here. And if he was, then at least Nic wouldn't. He forbade the idea of letting the boy stay any longer.
     The hours went by slowly, and although he always prayed the guards never came in, he caught himself begging for one to open the door.
     Nic had woken up a half-hour ago; Alex had already told him the plan and told him to be ready to run. The boy gave a small complaint that his legs were sore from running yesterday, and promptly went quiet when he mentioned that they didn't have to escape today.
     He paced around the room, feeling his stomach writhe in hunger. His upper torso was awfully stiff, from his sore arms to the bruises on his back, to his bleeding lip and aching head. If help didn't come soon, or if he couldn't help himself, then...
     Alex shivered.
     After another while, he finally heard the footsteps down the hall. Nic stiffened and moved to his knees, his hands on the ground as if he was preparing to sprint out the room. Alex positioned himself behind the door and motioned for the boy to stay silent.
     The world seemed to tense for a moment, as if the earth itself was holding its breath.
     The key slid into the lock; it twisted, the door pushing open. He held his breath.
     In came the Octoling with the long hair, another plate of inedible food in his hands. The man stopped midstride and put a hand on his hip. "Where's the other one?"
     Alex caught Nic's eye and flicked his finger to the side. The boy shifted, obeying his order.
     Alex threw himself forward and rammed into the Octoling, grabbing the plate of food and bashing it into the man's head. He held him down and ripped the ring of keys from belt loop, hearing more footsteps down the hall.
     He whipped around with the plate in his hands and the keys between his fingers before realizing that the noise was from Nic running away.
     Alex bolted after the boy as quietly as possible and caught up to him after a second. He grabbed Nic's arm and tossed the boy onto his back with a wince of pain. "Hang on," he said.
     He sped down the hall, past a series of rooms, keeping an eye out for the winding stairwell that would take them up, to freedom. He came to a screeching halt when he saw his jacket lying on a desk in one of the rooms.
     Alex ran in, snatched the jacket, and sprinted back out. He felt the ring box still in its pocket. "Hold this," he said, passing it to Nic.
     He peeked in and out of rooms for a while, never losing his speed, until finally he found the stairwell and blazed up it.
     Nic hopped off his back and threw himself up the stairs, dragging Alex up some steps every now and then. By the time they reached the top, he could barely breathe.
     "Nic, just-" he coughed, feeling his lungs constrict every time he tried to inhale. "Just wait a second."
     "Come on, come on!" He cried, practically bouncing on his feet. "We're so close!"
     "If you want me to be able to fight the bad guys," he coughed again, his throat raw and sore. "Then you will let me breathe."
     "Breathe faster!"
     "Quiet down."
     It took a while, perhaps too long, but he eventually returned to the state of his new usual labored breathing. Nic grabbed his arm and led him to the exit door, explaining quietly as he went. "I've been up here before, the first time I actually got out of the room. I know the way."
     Alex positioned the keys between his fingers and traded Nic the plate for his jacket, pulling it over his shoulders and checking if the ring was still there (it was). "Your only job is to hit absolutely anything that lives and breathes. Except me. Got it?"
     The boy nodded.
     He tried several keys and unlocked the door, slowly pushing it open to reveal... an empty room.
     Sunlight filtered in from a solitary window at the end of the cavern. Scuffs in the ground and old, stiffened mats lay askew on the floor, a pile of supplies and rubble in one corner. He lowered his fist, confused.
     Nic stepped ahead of him. "Huh. Guess they slept in today. Ha!"
     Alex sensed something was off.
     He looked up, around the room, squinting at everything that looked even the slightest bit odd. But nothing came to fruition.
     And then came the idea to look behind.
     Something, another person, he assumed, collided hard with him. He hit the ground as a boot crushed the air out of his lungs and managed to yell out, "Nic, run!"
     He heard the boy's footsteps sprint away and felt the briefest sense of relief.
     Alex scrambled to his feet just as the slegdehammer slammed into the ground. He shuddered, looking at the wielder, and was surprised to find that it wasn't Gabriel. It was his assistant or whatever, the Lyle guy.
     While the man wasted time trying to lift his weapon, Alex turned and ran after Nic.
     The little boy ran painfully slow, and as Alex caught up, he once again grabbed the boy's arm and practically dragged him as they went.
     "Where's the exit?" He asked, tucking Nic under his arm like a box.
     "I don't know!" Nic cried. "I've only been up here once, I forgot!"
     Alex groaned and made a sharp turn, almost slipping, and kept going. He heard something hit the ground behind him with a clang! and forced himself to go faster.
     "Oh! Oh! Turn here!" The boy said, pointing to his left.
     He turned again, chest tight with fear. He could hear the footsteps behind him multiplying, disgruntled shouts of anger eching loudly behind him. The thundering noise pounded in unison with his hearts.
     Alex could feel his speed faltering, his lungs going numb with effort, and quickly realized he couldn't carry Nic anymore.
     The boy directed him past another room and he put on one last burst of speed, sprinting as far as his burning legs could take him, then set Nic down and dropped to his knees.
     Alex waved the boy off when he tried to help him up. The seeming army behind them pounded ever closer.
     "Alex, come on! We have to go!"
     He couldn't breathe. He couldn't breathe.
     Nic shook him, fear in his eyes, glancing at him and then the entrance.
     He held his chest, trying to hold his breath or slow his hearts or do anything to stop the hyperventilating, but the more he tried, the more out of control it got.
     He looked up at Nic, forcing a single word out of his mouth.
     "Run."
     "No, I can't- I can't just leave you!"
     Alex reached shaky hands towards the keys and handed them to the boy. "You ha-" he swallowed hard. "You have to run."
     Nic stared at him, his eyes fogging. "Please, we're so close, we're so close! The exit is just a couple rooms away, please! Just get up!"
     He heard people rounding the corner and a boost of adrenaline shot through his body. Mustering up the last of his strength, he held his breath and stood on trembling legs. The boy smiled and grabbed his hand, guiding him out of the room at a jog.
     "Stop!" Someone yelled, a good distance behind them.
     Alex sped up, his knees threatening to buckle, and Nic basically hauled him forward. He quickly snatched the pan from the boy's hands and took a quick glance back, launching the plate towards the nearest Octoling.
     His legs began to burn as he went, shakily running toward the next rooms. Nic was still a few steps ahead, but as his chest loosened and his lungs took in more air, Alex dared to speed up again. All they had to do was get out, get a car, and drive. Then he could stop.
     Ahead of him, Nic thrust out a finger at a door just a few yards away. "There! There's the exit! Go!"
     He could hear the wheeze in his breath as someone chillingly close to him screamed, "Throw it!"
     Alex whipped around with a gasp, knowing what would be thrown was likely a knife, and the airborne blade hit him square in the face.
     He stumbled back with a yell, hands flying to his face, and gripped his cheek in pain. Tears of agony sprang from his eyes. His hands came away stained green.
     When he turned around, Nic was already trying to pull open the door. Alex staggered to him, tripping over his feet, dizzy with pain, and heard someone else cry, "Throw it! Now!"
     That sounded like Gabriel.
     He lunged for Nic and grabbed the door, his hands slippery, and yanked it open as something crashed into the ground, heavy and loud.
     "No!" Gabriel shrieked.
     Bright sunlight blinded him as he pushed Nic out of the doorway. The moment his eyes adjusted, he spotted a car parked to the left. He tossed Nic the keys and began to run for it when someone seized the collar of his sweater and pulled him back. A violent shudder ran down his back as he realized he wouldn't be going home today.
     Nicholas was already in the car when he turned, and then panic overtook his features. "Alex! No!"
     Another arm closed over his neck, towing him back inside. He flailed desperately, twisting and tharshing and biting. "Just go, Nic! Find Sarai! Tell her-"
     The arm pulled up and a hand slammed over his mouth. The door was hauled shut and the artificial light filled his eyes again, and all of a sudden he wanted to cry and scream as the thought of seeing his friends again flashed behind his eyes.
     The hands retreated and someone kicked him right on his bruises, sending him to the floor as he writhed in pain. He heard Gabriel scream at someone in a different tongue (he recognized the word "take" from the small amount Sarai had taught him, so he assumed they were speaking Octarian), and turned to see at least 4 Octolings glaring down at him.
     Alex debated getting up. He could maybe take one of them in hand-to-hand, throw the other into the rest, and make a run for it. A plan formed behind his eyes.
     But then he felt the ache in his muscles, his swelling eye, his raw throat and sore body, and knew he would die if he tried.
     So he lie still, holding his face as the cut throbbed in unison with his hearts.
     Just a few minutes later, he was back in that stupid room with that same stupid light. He sat down in the corner, feeling like maybe the smallest person in the world, and pulled the ring from his pocket.
     Alex flicked the box open and gazed at the small band hidden inside; a beautiful blue diamond sat in the middle of the band, flanked on either side by two smaller opals that glimmered just like Sarai's eyes.
     A lump formed in his throat and he began to cry.
     Shut up, He thought, biting his tongue. It's only been a few days. You're not allowed to cry.
     His jacket suddenly buzzed, making him jump. He searched for the source, confused, until he discovered more weight in his other pocket.
     Alex sat up and zipped it open, pulling out the object within.
     His phone!
     Suddenly manic, he turned it on. A "one percent left" notification was on the screen. He cursed.
     Alex quickly swiped through his contacts and clicked on Sarai's, pressing the phone to his ear. He waited in tense, sickening silence as the phone rang.
     Come on, Sarai. Pick up. Please.
     After two rings, the line clicked.
     "Hello?" Sarai's voice sounded on the other end, frantic. "Alex?"
     "Sarai!" He cried. "Sarai, I'm-"
     "Where are you?" She yelled. "Oh my god, I'm so- are you okay? Alex? Where are you!"
     "I don't know! Gabriel took me, he- I don't know where I am. It's not his original base, though."
     "I know! I wen't with a group yesterday to find you, and you weren't there! I'm so-" Her voice cracked and he heard her sob, his hearts breaking as his eyes misted. "I'm so happy you're alive!"
     "I am! I'm right here, I'm okay!"
     "I'll find you, alright? I promise. I promise on my life, I'm gonna find you." She paused, then added, "and when I do, you'd better kiss me, okay?"
     "Anything for you." He swallowed. "My phone's at 1 percent, it's gonna die any second now. But I just wanna tell you I love you, okay? I love you so much."
     "I love you too!" She cried. He could hear the agony in her voice. "I'm going to find you, Alex. I swear."
     "Okay. I believe you. I believe you." His phone screen darkened a bit and a burst of panic popped in his chest. "No no no no no, my phone's dying- Sarai? I love you, okay? I love you!"
     "I love you t-"
     The screen went dark.

✨️hehe✨️
im gonna go cry now
Word count: 2988