Part Sixteen

As the gravity of the situation settled in, Rael started scanning the room for an alternate exit. "Is there another way out?" Cara asked Karga. The man shook his head and motioned at the way they had entered, "No that's it." Mando spoke up and asked, "What about the sewers?".

"Sewers?", Karga said confused. "The Mandalorians have a covert down in the sewers. If we can get down there, they can help us escape." Mando explained. "Yea, sewers are good." Cara agreed, happy there was at least a small chance of getting out alive.

Mando activated a scanner on his helmet and scanned the room for an access point into the sewers. "What the hell are they waiting for?", Cara mumbled as she peaked out the window. Rael took the woman's place, as leaned against the wall, and saw a group of troopers marching forward holding a large machine.

"Karabast...", Rael hissed as she realized just what it was that the troopers were setting up and felt a stabbing pain in her torso. "What?", Cara asked turning to look back out the window. "They're setting up an E-Web." Rael said grimly. Karga sucked in a breath before saying, "It's over."

Just then Mando said, "I found the sewer vent." Cara swung her blaster over her shoulder and said, "Let's get the hell out of here." She and Mando crept towards a vent covered by crates as Rael remained by the window, watching the troopers ready the E-Web.

The machine powered up and Rael nervously said, "Uh guys, how much longer? It's assembled." Mando said he was out of charges and couldn't blow off the vent cover so Cara fired her large blaster at it... it was unsuccessful. But it did draw the attention of the mystery officer outside.

"Your astute panic suggests that you understand your situation. I would prefer to avoid any further violence, and encourage a moment of consideration. Members of my escort have completed assembly of an E-Web heavy repeating blaster. If you are unfamiliar with this weapon, I am sure that Republican Shock Trooper Carasynthia Dude of Alderaan Will advise you that she has witnesses many of her ranks vaporize mid-descent facing the predecessor of this particular model...", The man said loudly causing their heads to turn and look at a shocked Cara.

He then continued to say, "Or perhaps the decommissioned Mandalorian hunter, Din Djarin, has heard the songs of the Siege of Mandalore, when gunships outfitted with similar ordnance laid waste to fields of Mandalorian recruits in The Night of a Thousand Tears." Rael's eyes drifted over to Mand- to Din Djarin to see him motionless and staring at the man in what she could only assume to be shock.

"I advise disgraced Magistrate Green Karga to search the wisdom of his years and urge you to lay down your arms and come outside." The officer called, proving once more of his knowledge of them. But, he wasn't finished.

"If nothing else ask Jedi and Rebel Commander Rael Kenobi-Kryze of the slaughter of her companions and her near demise at the hands of this exact blaster on Naboo." The man said smugly as the young woman pressed her back against the cold wall with her eyes squeezed shut. That had been the most horrific day of the war and her life. Flashes of the memory were pushing themselves to the front of her mind when a firm hand squeezed her shoulder.

She opened her eyes to see Cara with her lips in a firm line, but with a sympathetic look. The trooper had heard of the events on Naboo.... everyone in the alliance had. But, her attention was pulled away from the woman and to Mando. He was more rigid than before and staring directly at her. Even with his helmet on, Rael could feel his burning gaze.

The Jedi gave him a questioning look, but the officer began to speak again. "The structure you are trapped in will be razed in short order and your storied lives will come to an unceremonious end." He declared. Green Karga let out a defeated sigh before calling, "What do you propose?".