Part Forty-Five

~~~~~

Rael leaned against the glass canopy as she watched space blur around the small starfighter. Din had fallen asleep not too long ago and Grogu had seized the opportunity to clamber into the front with him. The young woman could feel her eyelids growing heavier as the calming blue lights outside lulled her into a sense of calm. She had been doing her best to push down a nagging feeling of worry for the past week or so and hadn't been getting as much sleep as she would like.

A soft pattern of beeps made her glance over her shoulder to see BD-72 hopping from side to side. "Holo?", she answered quietly. The droid trilled happily before projecting a holo-message in front of her. She sat up straighter as she saw the image of Leia holding her son, Ben Solo's, hand. "I know our normal catch-up isn't for another few days but Ben really wanted to show you what he learned today", Leia's voice said as she let go of Ben's hand

Rael smiled as she watched the seven year old's brow furrow in concentration and reach out a hand. "Almost got it... Yes!", the boy's voice cheered as a practice saber appeared at the edge of the image and flew into his hand. "Did you see, Aunt Ellie! I bet I'll get to build my own lightsaber before my next birthday.", Ben continued with a huge grin as Leia's eyes widened.

"Let's not get ahead of ourselves. Now, say goodbye to Ellie.", Leia told him with an amusement in her voice. Ben huffed up at her but turned back with a sad smile. "I hope you'll come home soon, Aunt Ellie. I miss you.", the kid said. Leia wrapped a comforting arm around his shoulders before adding, "We'll see her again sometime. We love you, El. Talk to you soon."

And with that, the hologram disappeared and the ship was quiet once more. Rael sighed leaned back in her seat, still wearing a small smile. Ben's training would be beginning soon and she knew not only his parents, but Luke, were excited for it to start. From the day he was born, both Rael and Luke could feel his potential.

As her eyes began to flutter shut, she wandered what the next generation of Jedi would be like...

~~~~~

"Welcome to Nevarro, independent trade anchor and Outer Rim Hyperlane port. Please state the purpose of your visit." A automated voice said, pulling Rael from her dreams. "Here to meet an old friend", came Din's reply. Rael rubbed the sleep from her eyes as a beep signaled their clearance for landing. The young woman looked outside and saw the town was even more bustling than the last time they had visited.

Din brought the ship down steadily before shutting down the systems and releasing the canopy. "Seems like our old friend is still doing well...", Rael chuckled as she dropped to the ground and helped Grogu get comfortable in his pram. Din grunted in agreement before heading for the Main Street. "Come on, Bee.", Rael ushered as she held out her arm to the small droid balancing on the ship's wing. BD-72 hopped onto her arm and settled onto of her left shoulder as she hurried to catch up with the other two.

As they passed a droid, that was repeating a welcome message at the entrance of the market, Rael looked down at the kid and told him firmly, "Hands to yourself, Gro". She was met with a mischievous smile and a happy coo. All Rael could do was shake her head and hide her smile.

They continued through the streets and passed a few more of the protocol droids spouting out information about the town. Din's side glances at the droids didn't go unnoticed by his companions. "A lot has changed around here...", he said as he watched the most recent droid pass them.

Rael nodded in agreement as she watched a group of squealing children run by a lively band playing on the steps of a building. But it was the statue in the middle of the town center that caught her attention the most. She made her way towards it with Din and Grogu following behind her.