Part Forty-Three

~~~~~

"Let's hope Peli will have a clue where he could be...", Rael mumbled as she eased the borrowed X-wing into the mechanic's landing bay. Grogu cooed excitedly as he looked up at her. "Go ahead and leave the ship running, Artooie. This could be a quick stop.", she told the droid as the hatch opened.

"Hello, Officer! No- hide it!! Officer!", a familiar voice shouted as a few droids scurried around moving crates. Rael couldn't help but chuckle as Peli continued, "I filed for my New Republic certification seal just as you were landing!". The young woman was grinning by the time she pulled off her helmet. "Quite a coincidence if you ask me- Wait a minute! Rael?", the woman shouted.

Grogu pulled himself out of her lap as Rael continued to laugh, "Sorry, Peli. I didn't wanna interrupt." The mechanic huffed as she crossed her arms, but she didn't stay mad for long. "Oh c'mere you little womp rat.", she said as she reached out and the kid jumped into her arms. R2 beeped from his spot, the impatient droid reminding Rael why they were there.

"The Mandalorian? He's not here.", Peli answered the astromech, overhearing him. "Do you have any idea where he might be?", Rael asked her. "I don't know. I think he's on a job in Mos Espa. But you just got here! Let's catch up!", the woman continued. "Well, first update is that his name is Grogu.", Rael told her. Peli snorted as she said, "That's a terrible name, pal. Sorry about that. There's no way I'm calling you Grogu."

R2-D2 beeped annoyedly as Rael climbed out of the X-wing. "Oh, keep your dome on! They're just gonna have a quick bite to eat and then you can be on your way!", Peli shouted at the droid. Rael smiled apologetically at R2 before hurrying after the older woman. "Now let's find you two some food and then we can go track down that bucket-head.", Peli declared before shouting orders to her droids.

Rael sat down on a crate as Peli placed Grogu on the one next to her, but her attention was stolen by a small BD unit hiding in the shadows. "Hi there, little guy.", Rael smiled at him. The small droid let out a timid beep and shuffled forward a bit. Grogu squealed loudly and started to crawl off the crate, but Rael stopped him. "Woah, kiddo. I think he's a bit shy. Let him come to us, ok?", she said gently and Grogu plopped back down.

Peli came strutting back towards them with her pit droids following close behind, holding a plater and a few containers of food. "Here ya go. Dung worms for the kid and there's some jerked bantha meat and Haroun bread for you.", Peli motioned towards the two containers placed in front of Rael as she helped Grogu grab a handful of the wriggling worms. "Is that BD unit a new droid?", Rael asked as the droid continued to slowly approach the newcomers.

"BD-72? Yea, but he's not really suited for the hanger. A bit too many other droids, ya know. Get's kinda pushed around. I'll probably pawn him off on some kid who wants their first droid and get a few credits.", she said dismissively. The little droid stopped by Rael's dusty boots and peered up at her and beeped a tentative greeting. Rael gently patted BD-72's head as she tried to imagine how mad Din might be if she and the kid showed up with a new little friend...

~~~~~

After a quick meal and a visit to Peli's fresher, Rael and Grogu said goodbye to R2-D2 and hopped into a Peli's droid-pulled carriage. The journey had taken most of the night and early morning and they arrived at Mos Espa around midday. "Now, my contacts said this place is under new management. He's declared himself the Daimyo of Mos Espa. You should probably cover your face like you used to.", the woman said and the droid slowed to a more leisurely pace as they entered the settlement.

Rael glanced back at her pack that was tucked away in the cargo area. "I don't think hiding my face will do much for me anymore. Not when I won't be hiding these...", the Jedi shrugged, motioning towards the sabers on her belt. "Yea, that's sorta a giveaway.", Peli agreed. 'Where?', a voice drifted into Rael's mind. "He's here somewhere... I can sense him. But, something is going on.", Rael answered Grogu's question out loud. "Something's definitely wrong. These streets are usually pretty busy, but I haven't even seen a womp rat!", the mechanic exclaimed.