Part Twenty

~~~~~

Rael's eyes opened to find herself sitting in the middle of a quiet forest. She looked around but couldn't see much into the trees because of the thick fog. 'What is this...', she thought. "Rael!", a voice called from deeper in the forest. She recognized it immediately. "Grandpa?", she questioned, standing up. A silhouette appeared in the fog and it grew larger until the figure broke out of the swirling wall.

"Grandpa...", Rael breathed out as she stared at a younger version of the man who had raised her. He may have had unfamiliar sandy hair and less wrinkles, but his eyes and smile remained unchanged like his voice. "Come here, dear one.", He told her with outstretched arms. Rael hurried forward and clung to him, soaking in his familiar warmth.

"H- how? I wasn't even meditating?", Rael wondered as the two pulled apart after a few moments. "A dream from the Force. Not terribly different from ones that give you a glimpse into the future." Obi-wan explained as he cupped her face in his hands. Their shared stormy, grey eyes stared at one another and Rael already knew what he was wanting to talk about.

The girl dropped his gaze and took a step back, pulling away from his comforting touch. "You felt it, didn't you?", she asked quietly. She heard her grandfather sigh before saying, "I did. Others did as well. We were worried. I tried to reach you, but... I couldn't get through, Rael." The younger Jedi looked up at him sadly. "I didn't mean to. It just happened so fast. I-I thought we were all going to die. I just wanted to-to protect them." Rael stuttered and wrung her hangs.

Obi-wan stepped forward and took her hands in his, stopping her fidgeting. "I know, my dear." He comforted her gently. "The dark side sensed your moment of panic and took advantage. It used the friendships you have formed to push you to use your abilities to attack, not defend." He added. Rael sighed and nodded her head, already knowing this.

Both were quiet for a moment before Obi-wan said, "Now that you have escaped safely with the child, will you return to Luke and the others?". Rael closed her eyes and tried to get her thoughts straight so she could answer. "I... I know that eventually we will have to rejoin Luke and the other padawans and younglings, but I fear for the child. What if he isn't able to let go the friends we have made?", She said hesitantly as Obi-wan released her hands.

Obi-wan looked at her thoughtfully with his arms crossed and his chin resting on one of his hands. "It will be difficult and take some time, but are you only speaking of the child?", he asked her, knowing eyes piercing into her own. "I-I know that I'm not supposed to be attached to worldly things but-" she began to ramble but Obi-wan cut her off with a stern voice, "Forming attachments is not the Jedi way. You know this, Rael. It only brings us pain."

This made her stare at him indigently and snap, "I only exist because you formed an attachment with some unknown woman. Are you saying you regret that?". The girl immediately knew her words were out of line when she saw hurt flash in her grandfather's eyes, but before she could apologize, Obi-wan placed his hands on her shoulders. "I did form an attachment with a woman. She was the one to give me the nickname, Ben. We had your father, Korkie, before Anakin was assigned to me." Obi-wan told her.

Rael had never been told anything about her family, so she remained silent and soaked up every word. "He met your mother on a trip to Naboo. They were married quite young. Her name was Mirrelé. She was the daughter a Nubian diplomat. I was able to sneak away for the ceremony... I had never seen someone as happy as Korkie on the day you were born." He said with a warm smile as he brushed a knuckle over her cheek.

The young woman smiled and whispered, "Why did you never talk of them, before?". Obi-wan's smile turned a bit sad as he replied, "I'm afraid the knowledge of your family would have only put you in more danger... Your mother's family was very outspoken against the emperor and paid a heavy price for it. And your father's family, given to him by his mother, was no better. Perhaps worse."

Rael furrowed her brows before asking, "What was my grandmother's name?". Obi-wan looked at her and hesitated. "Is the family name kiz-no, um, Kryze?" Rael prodded. This name made the Jedi master arch his brows. "Where did you hear that name?" He asked her, his voice tinged with worry. "The ex-imperial ISB officer who was tracking us. Moff Gideon." She told him.

This made Obi-wan let out a sigh and said, "Yes. That was their family name. No doubt the man you travel with has recognized it." Confused, Rael said, "Din? Why would he know it?". Her grandfather looked at her with a tense smile. "I was never fully truthful about how you came to be in my care..." He told her quietly. Rael stared at him, waiting for him to continue.

"Your great aunt was the one who brought you to Tatooine. An Imperial Inquisitor had been hunting the three of you for a few cycles. Your parents had decided to leave you with her so they could deal with it. But they were over powered by the Inquisitor. After hearing the news through her sources, your aunt and a few others were able to bring you to me to be hidden away. The only thing that they left behind was the hologram you carry of first time I met you." He continued.

Rael didn't notice her eyes had been tearing up until one rouge tear streaked down her cheek. She quickly wiped her eyes as she tried to process everything. "W-why was an Inquisitor hunting us?", she forced out. Obi-wan was quiet for a moment before answering. "Right before Order 66 was executed, rumors had been spreading of myself having a hidden child. And when everything came crashing down, some discovered that the rumor was not only true, but the mother of this child was... was of House Kryze of Mandalore." He explained, studying Rael's face to gage her reaction.

She was trying to pull her thoughts together when she heard a muffled voice call her name in the distance. "What was that?", she mumbled, still a bit stunned. "You are beginning to wake. We don't have much more time." Obi-wan replied and stepped forward. He cupped Rael's face as he had done before. "I have never once regretted any my decisions that led to you. You will never know how much you did for me in those years we were on our own. You are as wise and powerful as your are kind and merciful. Always remember that, my Star, and your mind will never waiver." He told her quickly and pressed a kiss to her forehead.

"What was her name?", Rael couldn't help but ask as the forest began to fade around them. "This is something you will discover on your own. Know that we will always be here when you need us. Always." He said with a smile. Rael looked over his shoulder and could make out the figures of people she had seen in her visions and connection with the Force since she was child. Anakin Skywalker stood there with a knowing smirk, all too similar to Luke and Leia's, and gave her a wink. Masters Yoda and Mace Windu both sent her a smile and a nod.

Lastly, Master Qui-Gon Jinn took a small step forward as the world continued to disappear. "May the Force be with you, Rael Kenobi-Kryze." He called to her. The young Jedi smiled at them before looking back to Obi-wan. "I love you, Grandpa." She whispered, as everything slipped away. "And I love you, my Star...", came his reply, as her eyes fluttered open to see the artificial light of the Razor Crest.

~~~~~