idia x male!reader

synopsis: just a short and sweet confession between idia and the reader, nothing much plot-wise :) idia gets a little emotional bc ofc he does but it's still fun to write

You were watching Azul and Idia go at it at chess, not understanding how they knew where each piece was able to move and which move would topple over the other's pieces. You weren't too active in the Board Game Club, but you'd agreed to join it because of Idia, who was glad to have another friend there.

"Geez," you say, watching both students glare at the offending pieces, "does this game ever end? You guys have been at this for, like, an hour."

"I'm waiting for Azul to do something stupid so that I can take over," mutters Idia, eyes flickering across the board.

"No shame at all," says Azul, giving Idia a hard look. "It's like we're not even friends."

"Not when we're playing. All relationship statuses were rendered null as soon as you pulled this out," says Idia, moving another piece.

"Alright, if that's the way you want to play," hums Azul, pulling a move that makes Idia's eyebrows furrow. You watch the blue-haired boy bite his lip as he tries to find a way out before sighing and sacrificing another piece to move ahead, much to Azul's delight.

The game continues like this for a while. Even though watching it has you bored out of your mind, you stick around just to watch Idia's face as he gains ground and loses pieces, grinning at his animated expressions.

"You look like you're having fun," you tease as Azul topples another one of Idia's pieces. Idia's eyes narrow as he thinks, then reaches across the board, knocking over Azul's king.

"You're right, I am. Checkmate," says Idia, putting his hands back in his lap. Azul pauses, trying to figure out where he went wrong.

"Wait. Wait a minute. How did—" Azul falters, eyes wide as he tries to find out what made him loose.

"You got greedy. You overlooked everything else to get more of my pieces," says Idia, grinning slightly. Azul sniffs, then pushes up his glasses, crossing his arms and trying not to look disappointed at his loss.

"Well then. I see," he responds curtly, at which you smile.

"Good job Idia, I actually didn't see that coming," you say, looking at the board. "Well, I'm also not the best at it, so I can't say I would've understood what was going on either way, but good job anyways."

"It was partly because of my knowledge at this game, but also partially because Azul decided to let his brain crash while he should've been paying attention. It was a total shutdown," he says, removing the rest of the chess pieces while Azul glowers at him over the rim of his glasses.

"Sure, sure. Anyway, I have to get going. Don't let this one win get to your head," he warns Idia, as if the exact same thing doesn't happen to him twenty-four-seven.

"Huh, looks like it's just us now," you say, leaning back in your chair and watching Idia fiddle with his sleeves. "I'll help you pack everything up if you're done for the night," you say, gesturing towards the scattered board games around the table.