azul x gn!reader

synopsis: the reader helps azul get familiar with flying. i thought it would be interesting that the reader/prefect, who got the title "beastmaster" at the beginning of the series and has gotten to do nothing with that title be in charge of the "beasts" of the school. it was requested that they have a sphinx which is pretty rad ngl. anyways thats what the reader uses to get azul used to flying so he doesn't have to worry anymore

"So...you're scared of flying?" you ask, your chin in your hand as you watch Azul glower down at you.

"I'd appreciate it if you didn't broadcast that to the world," he grits out. You shrug.

"I'm just trying to understand. It's nothing to be ashamed of, y'know," you say, even though Azul only grows red.

"Not when you're in the middle of Vargas' class and he decides to use you as an example! That was humiliating," he gripes, and you nod.

"Yeah, that was probably a little embarrassing. Everyone's been there, though—I mean, I didn't even know you could ride a broom when I first got here. That kind of stuff isn't really common where I'm from," you say. Azul simply slumps in his seat.

You think about it for a while. Azul is someone that you've liked for a long while now and you'd love to help him, but you weren't exactly sure how  you could. This isn't exactly a subject you knew all too much about, but you were definitely willing to try.

You think back to your giant pet—maybe he can help. Sure, it would freak Azul out, but what better way that to face things headfirst?

That's why Azul finds himself outside of Ramshackle, arms wrapped around himself while you try to get him to ride a fucking sphinx.

"I am not  getting on that thing," he grumbles. He'd only agreed to meet up with you because of how much he likes you—the two of you were at an awkward stage where you were kind of starting to figure out that the other has feelings for you, but neither of you had done something about it yet. Yes, you were friends, but Azul knew that he was close enough that one wrong move would fuck everything up and he'd never get the chance to be this close again, which terrified him enough to back off from any attempt at asking you out.

"He's not a thing, he's Livius. And he's going to help you today," you say, leading the massive creature out to greet Azul.

You're not surprised when Azul balks at the sight of the thing. With the head of a human, the body of a lion, and wings that span nearly the entirety of your yard, it's easy to be intimidated. Azul is staring at Livius without trying to hide how nervous he is. Livius stares back, keeping his hard, calculating eyes on Azul while Azul tries not to piss himself.

"Perhaps—perhaps we should do this another time," he says, drawing his uniform jacket tighter around his shoulders. "It's very late, and it's very dark, and I don't think that flying on something like that is safe—"

"It's only late because you stalled so much, Azul," you remind him, patting the highest point of Livius' shoulder that you can reach. Livius' eyes are still on Azul, face cold and blank, but he blinks in appreciation as you run your hand through his sandy fur.