vii. alsephina

𝐑𝐀𝐘𝐀 𝐇𝐀𝐃 𝐍𝐄𝐕𝐄𝐑 𝐁𝐄𝐄𝐍 𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐏𝐈𝐄𝐑 𝐓𝐎 𝐆𝐎 𝐓𝐎 𝐌𝐔𝐆𝐆𝐋𝐄 𝐒𝐓𝐔𝐃𝐈𝐄𝐒. She collapsed in her usual spot next to Thomas and Elias. Kayse, Emmet, and Jaiden sat behind her.

"Arif, you won't believe how annoying my day has been," she told Professor Sikander.

He grimaced, "I'm afraid I've got some news you may not like."

Raya groaned, "Hit me, Arif. I either take it, or die from the disappointment. Let's get it over with."

"It's inspection day," he told Raya, not looking very happy about the idea. "Professor Umbridge should be down any minute to begin."

The entire class groaned in unison.

Raya made a face, "Umbridge isn't a fan of Muggles. She gave a detention for using a pen. You'll have to be really careful, Arif."

Professor Sikander sighed, as if he'd been expecting that. "I know I'm quite lenient with you all, and I let you get away with things I probably shouldn't. For today, I'd like to ask all of you to be model students and act as if you learn quite a lot in this class."

Raya sat up in her chair, notebook and textbooks out in front of her. "Of course, Professor."

Following her lead, the rest of the students made it look like they were paying utmost attention.

Kayse raised his hand.

Professor Sikander waited for him to begin speaking — as all the kids in his class usually spoke right away — before realizing that he was supposed to call on the students.

"Yes, Mister Pierce."

"I was wondering if we're going to be waiting for Professor Umbridge to arrive, or if we will begin the lesson without her," he spoke in quite a posh manner.

Even Professor Sikander was taken aback.

He stammered, "Uh... well, I suppose—"

A knock sounded on the open door.

The entire class turned their head to see Dolores Umbridge enter the room, closing the door behind her.

"Good afternoon, Professor Sikander... isn't it?" she said, smiling to reveal her pointy teeth.

"Yes, that's correct, Professor Umbridge," he nodded in her direction.

"You've received my note, haven't you? Regarding the date and time of your inspection?"

"I did," he nodded. "If you'll please take a seat, I can begin teaching my class, and you can begin your inspection."

Professor Umbridge smiled, looking at every student in the class — who was sitting straight-backed, and waiting for Professor Sikander's instructions — before settling in one of the chairs at the back.

"Let's get started," Professor Sikander said once Umbridge had taken her seat. "I'm sure you all remember the essay you did last year, the one based on the interview of how Muggles use electricity."

Umbridge coughed, "Excuse me, Professor Sikander?"

He looked towards her, managing a polite smile, "Yes?"

"I was just wondering where these students got their information from," she said.

"Pardon?"

"Surely, you didn't have them interviewing actual Muggles on the street, did you?" her voice held the sound of a hidden threat. "That would be considered unsafe."