ix. dumbledore's army

"𝐁𝐔𝐓 𝐘𝐎𝐔 𝐀𝐆𝐑𝐄𝐄 𝐖𝐈𝐓𝐇 𝐌𝐄, 𝐃𝐎𝐍'𝐓 𝐘𝐎𝐔?" Hermione asked.

Sirius had once again called through the Floo to talk to Harry, Ron, and Hermione. At the news of their Defense classes, he seemed beyond excited. Though, Hermione had noted that he seemed excited about breaking the rules, rather than actually learning magic. He disappeared right before Umbridge could catch him, but it was an extremely close call.

Now, Hermione was worried about the Defense classes. She'd mentioned to the boys that it seemed Sirius had grown more reckless, like he was trying to live through them. They'd both gotten mad at that, and Hermione had hunted down Raya in the library to try and get her to agree with her.

"Well, I get your point," she told her. "He's — well he's been cooped up in that place for way too long. Si — he's always been a little reckless, but with everything in the recent weeks... Hermione, I see your point."

"Thank you!"

"But," she added quickly, "I still think the Defense thing is a good idea. Snuffles wants to do it because it's rebellious, but even if it wasn't, we'd still have to. We've got to be more prepared, we've got to actually learn things this year. It's a good idea, don't back out on it now."

Hermione sighed, even though she looked much happier now that Raya had agreed with her.

"I suppose you're right," she muttered, packing away her books. "I think you should send Snuffles a letter, try to convince him to calm down a bit. You had some luck with it last year. You're the only one he seems to take seriously."

Raya hesitated, wondering whether Sirius would even listen to her. Honestly, she doubted it. He'd probably put her letter to the side and never read it.

"I think you'd have better luck with Harry trying," she told her. "Maybe then he'll actually realize what he's doing isn't safe."

"Mail's being watched," Hermione told her. "I thought you might have a way around that. But it's alright. I'm sure he'll pop up sometime soon."

Raya hummed noncommittedly, waving to Hermione as she left. She turned her attention back to her Potions assignment — she was almost ready to start brewing Liquid Luck. While she was checking her notes for the twelfth time, Kayse had come in to sit next to her.

"Hey," he kissed her forehead.

"Hi," she grinned at him.

"Ugh, you're doing the Potions assignment," he groaned. "I don't want to — I've been trying to forget about that for way too long. Are you far along?"

"I'm about to start brewing it very soon," she told him. "I've gone through my notes way too many times, and I feel like if I read them even once more, my brain will explode."

"That'd be a shame," Kayse muttered. "I rather like your brain."

Raya laughed, shaking her head. "Stop being smooth, we're already dating. Work on your potion."

"It's your fault for giving me such perfect set-ups," he poked her. "If you don't give me the amazing set-ups, then maybe I wouldn't be so smooth."

Raya rolled her eyes, "To be fair, you really only grew smooth after we started dating. Before that, you were horrible at it."

"I thought I was good at flirting," he made a face. "There were a bunch of kids who used to flirt with me."

"Honey, they flirted with you because you're hot, not because you knew how to flirt," she patted his hand.