Chapter 18: By Your Side (2)

"Why are we dancing together?" Empress Helena asked while they were in the middle of the crowded ballroom. Her eyes lingered on the people giving them side glances, but after a few moments, she looked away and focused on the Crown Prince instead. Looking at the smiling demon in front of her made her feel more fine than the nauseous feelings she gets when meeting the crowd's eyes. 

"I want to ask you the same thing as well, Empress Helena," The Crown Prince said with his enigmatic smile again. The Empress frowned as if she was thinking, brushing over her gaze to the table where Sir Cale, Miss Rosalyn, and Sir Choi Han were left and found the red head man glaring at Miss Rosalyn's way. What did they talk about for him to form like that?

"Focus on the song, you'll trip and make a fool of yourself," Crown Prince Albert said taking Empress Helena's hand and twirling her two times before holding her hand and waist again. Empress Helena glared his way before focusing on their dance, not noticing the crowd's reaction at all. 

"Do you hear their whispers right now?" Crown Prince Albert asked Empress Helena while they were getting to the later part of the dance, She looked up to meet his gaze, bright eyes looking back to her cold ones. 

"Isn't that the old news? It must be about me being a barbaric lady or something. Like I told you the last time, Crown Prince, control your nobles." She said and gave him a small polite smile, who knew that he would suddenly burst out laughing and twirl her again before she meet his laughing gaze with her confused ones?

"Oh my, are you spacing out while we are dancing, Empress Helena? If the nobles knew of this, I wonder what kind of twisted stories will they share with the capital," He said with a smile. 

"... You seem awfully amused," She said in a deadpan tone. The Crown Prince only maintained his smile before the song finally ended. They both curtsied before going back to the table. 

"Thank you for the lovely time, Empress Pauline, I will see you again later," The Crown Prince said and she nodded and thanked the Crown Prince before sitting down and facing the gaze of three people at the table with her. She blinked twice and looked at them with confusion, why are they all looking at her like that? What's going on?

"You look so beautiful while dancing Empress Pauline! I didn't know that you can dance even with a tight dress on," Miss Rosalyn said with awe in her voice. Empress Helena blushed before denying her words, pointing to the slit on the side of her left leg that ends in the middle of her leg.

"It was easier to dance because of the slit, don't praise me too much, I only know a few dances," Empress Helena said, turning pink on her face before she took the teacup to drink and hid half of her face from their stares. 

"You look so charming while dancing with the Crown prince. I dare say, you rather outshine him while dancing, hehe," Miss Rosalyn said and playfully scooted closer to Empress Helena. Empress Helena kept denying her words of compliment. Another set of songs was played and the nobles slowly went back to the center to dance with their partners, some still persistently asked Empress Helena for a dance but this time, the one who stopped them was Sir Cale.

Empress Helena looked up to see the waiting hand of Sir Cale for her to take, she looked at his face and saw him waiting for her. Empress Helena hesitated before taking his hand, it was expected for her to be rejected by the end of this ball, she just wanna push through the ball and go back to the North, the sooner the better. 

Empress Helena and Sir Cale went to the center of the dancing crowd and started to dance along to the song. They were silent, not really looking at each other, but their synchronized footsteps made the crowd go in awe and whispers roam around the hall yet again. 

"Why are you not looking at me?" Sir Cale asked Empress Helena who was looking at the side.

"It feels inappropriate, and also, I... I don't think I want to," She said in a low and confused tone that made Sir Cale arch a brow while keeping his eyes on her. One minute, two minutes, Empress Helena finally looked back at him with a flustered expression on her face.

"Please stop staring at me," She asked shyly as her hand gripped his hand nervously.

"That won't do, what if we get into an accident? Just keep looking at me," Cale said and saw her face turn a brighter shade of pink while her eyes stared at him widely. 

"T-That, this is..." Empress Helena stuttered and pursed her lips, looking down at their feet while they dance. 

"Look at me, Miss Pauline," Cale said, seeing how her earlobes get red before he saw her watery sapphire-colored eyes. His hand unconsciously reached up and wipe the tear that fell from the side of her eye. 

"W-Why are you teasing me? I know that you wouldn't agree to the marriage contract, don't let me leave with such fond memories, I beg you," Empress Helena said before pulling away from Sir Cale and running off midway through the song. Cale stood there in a daze, watching as the Empress' back slowly turn small and disappeared from the corridors. Miss Rosalyn stood up to follow the Empress while Choi Han stood up to stand next to Cale. 

"Cale..."

"Let's go," Cale could hear and see the concern in Choi Han's voice and face but right now, he needs to talk to someone first.

"Glory to the Crown Prince," Cale and Choi Han greeted Crown Prince Alberu who was talking with his younger brother. He watched as the Crown Prince looked at them and smiled, asking if they need something.

"Can we talk for a moment? It's something urgent." Cale said and Crown Prince Alberu nodded. They went to a lonely balcony, Choi Han guarding the closed doors. 

"I knew it, You also felt the disturbance of mana in the palace, right? As expected of the Hero," Crown Prince Alberu suddenly said that caught Cale off-guard. What? disturbance of mana in the palace? When did this happen?

"What?" Cale cannot help but ask. Crown Prince Alberu nodded his head as if he knows that Cale was playing dumb to catch the culprit. 

"Don't worry, I will make sure to clean up after you, just get rid of those people," Crown Prince Alberu said and tapped Cale's shoulder twice before he left the balcony. Cale was left there in a daze, what?! There's an enemy in the palace ground? Wait! He was going to ask about their conversation earlier with Empress Helena! tsk!

"Choi Han," Cale called Choi Han with a frown, he went inside the balcony and asked him what was the matter.

"Contact Beacrox and Ron, tell them I need help to get rid of rats in the palace. If you see Rosalyn, tell her to keep an eye on the Empress's safety. Go," Cale said and his plan was executed immediately.