15. Enyr

"Enyr, an independent duchy-state, has long defined itself as a neutral party and consequently a refuge for political exiles and vagrants of all kinds."
Clement Pyridge's History of Our Glorious Empire, Vol. II

It wasn't until she boarded the ship for Enyr that Valerie fully appreciated the scope of this trip. It seemed as if half the court were joining them: Lord Gideon and Lady Melody, Lord Sandford and Lady Mona, Captain Doryn and a contingent of palace guards, and a new arrival from the Drakonian capital: Lord Dryden and no fewer than three male courtiers. She understood that Lord Dryden was the reason for their trip. He was the newly appointed Ambassador for Maskamere.

What a joke, she thought, to have a Drakonian nobleman pretending to represent the interests of Maskamere in Enyr. He'd probably never set foot in Maskamere before today.

With the party aboard, Lord Sandford insisted on giving a guided tour. The Stormdrake was a most splendid ship, with billowing white sails, the prow carved into the shape of a dragon's head, and fifty cannons that had all but destroyed the feeble Maskamery navy during the war. Now Lord Avon's personal vessel, it reigned the high seas as a symbol of Drakonian excellence, craftsmanship, and superiority.

Valerie was glad that she didn't get sea sick, but it would have been a good excuse if she'd puked on him.

At last, Avon summoned the lords for a private discussion in his quarters. Valerie mingled with the courtiers enjoying drinks and gossip on the deck. The topic of the day was their new arrival: Lord Dryden.

"Has Lord Dryden visited Enyr before?" Lady Mona asked, fanning away the sea spray from the edge of the ship.

"I'd say so," Pedram, one of the courtiers answered, "since that's where he met me."

The ladies were all charmed by his story, a rags to riches tale of a young Enyrn boy being swept off his feet by a mysterious stranger. She listened with increasing impatience. Dryden liked to acquire lovers from every country he visited: so what? None of it mattered.

"He must be missing a Maskamery companion to add to his collection," said Lady Melody with a laugh. "No doubt a perk of the job?"

"Half the reason if you ask me." Pedram grinned. "The other half was a chance to escape his wife."

The ladies laughed. Valerie didn't. "Why don't any of the lords bring their wives?" she asked. "Why only us?"

She had never met a Drakonian wife. Well, technically she had because Melody and Amilia were both married, but they weren't here in the capacity of a wife.

"Oh, darling," said Melody, fluttering her fan. "Wives don't leave their homeland. We ladies are an exception."

"Why not?"

"Because it isn't safe. And who would look after the children?"

"Don't you have children?"

There was an edge to Melody's voice. "My boys are quite happy at the palace, thank you."

"You'll find it's different in Enyr," Mona said. "An accomplished lady travels as she pleases."

"A lady of means, that is," said Pedram. "The common folk do their best with what they have, which is very little."

"Well, I assume we won't be mingling with the common folk," said Melody. "Unless Lord Dryden wishes to."

They tittered. Valerie had heard enough.

"I'm sorry," she said, "but doesn't anyone think that the ambassador for Maskamere should be from Maskamere? What makes Lord Dryden qualified?"

There was a short silence. The courtiers stared at her.