41. Ambition

"Maskamere is built on cooperation, not conflict. When Drakonians talk about us, they speak of witchcraft or curses. But nearly all the sorcery we perform is done to help someone. I don't believe it should be a destructive force."

Interview with Queen Shikra III, as told to Master Anwen

Step one: Trick Lord Gideon into giving away his plan.

That night, there was a rap at her door. Valerie tucked her braid over her shoulder and rose to her feet.

"Come in."

Gideon entered. And even though she had invited him, she took an instinctive step back, fingernails digging into her palms. He looked oily and furtive, glancing around the room before his gaze swept her up and down.

"You can't stay long," she said. "Lord Avon is next door."

"Pity." He circled around her, taking in the fruits of her labour: the spindle, the cloth, the needle and thread. His fingers brushed the ruffled sleeve of her latest project, a summer gown. "You are a most lovely snare. What do you want?"

"I want your help to get the crown jewels and escape back to the resistance."

He scoffed. "In return for what?"

"You said that you were on my side, didn't you? What do you want?"

She'd wondered this since that night she'd spent in the dungeon. Gideon had claimed to be an ally. First he'd vouched for her. Then in the temple chamber he'd called her a liar. What game was he playing?

Gideon's expression twisted into an unpleasant leer. "Ah," he said. "Many things. But I have a simple request for you."

"What?"

"You open that door for me."

And there it was. For a moment she was speechless. Then she gathered herself, lifting her chin.

"You want the elixir. Fine. What will you do about Avon?"

"Me? Nothing. Leave that to your resistance."

She kept her voice steady. "That's not good enough. If I agree to this, I need to know that you'll do your part. How do I know that I can trust you?"

He laughed. "Good one! That's rich, coming from you. How many of your allies have you betrayed? Let's see... That lovely servant girl with the poison. Captain Viper, turned to dust. The witch in the north. Lord Thorne's Maskamery slut—"

"Her name is Flavia," she ground out, shaking with anger. "I've done nothing but protect her."

"Liar." Gideon advanced on her, his cane thudding on the wooden floorboards. "I've watched you play at court. You're a vicious, stuck-up little whore with a forked tongue and crooked teeth. Why should I trust you?"

She took another step back, fists clenched. Of course, she could lie all she wanted to Gideon. After dancing around her conversations with Avon, she felt as if she were stretching her muscles after a long journey in a cramped carriage.

And she could spit truths at him too.

"You know what, I don't like you either. I don't care if you trust me. Good luck getting that door open without me."

"Oh, don't do it because I want you to," he said. "Do it for Bakra."

"What?"

Gideon leaned on his cane with both hands and smiled. "Would you like to see your prince?"