30. The Poisoned Goblet

"Pride is the opposite of humility. Pride leads to overconfidence, outspokenness, and ambition. A lady who speaks out of turn at court may be forgiven once, especially when young. But to do so twice is a grave faux pas that will not be forgotten."
Lady Briony Bretton's Guide to Court Etiquette for Promising Young Ladies

They couldn't speak openly in front of Lady Ophelia. But later that afternoon, when Valerie returned to her quarters to get ready for dinner, she found Iora waiting for her there instead of Priska. Iora held out a small velvet pouch, which Valerie took with a raised eyebrow.

"A gift," said Iora, "from Lady Ophelia."

"Really?"

Iora smiled. "No. But it got me in here, didn't it? We have a plan—"

"Wait," she interrupted. "Is Lavinia safe? Did she make it out?"

She ushered Iora over to the seat by the bay window, where the golden harp stood untouched and she'd be able to easily see anyone else entering her quarters.

Iora clasped her hands. "Last I heard, she was on her way to Bolebund."

"Is the Abbess still in charge of Bolebund?"

Iora nodded. "Why?"

Valerie passed on her information: everything Ophelia had told her that she deemed to be relevant, in particular the fact that Ophelia had been sent here to marry a lord of Bolebund and end the war.

"Marriage? Who in Bolebund would convert to the Drakonians' barbaric church?"

"I don't know," said Valerie. "She said she has several suitors. Who's the commander?"

"The Abbess's brother."

"Then they must be planning a coup," said Valerie, thinking quickly. "This could be the Empire's response to failing to capture Bakra. If they find a Maskamery man power-hungry enough to topple the Abbess..."

"They'd have to kill her first."

Valerie nodded. "Tell the Abbess. If there is a lord of Bolebund coming to visit us in Jairah, he's your traitor."

Iora shook her head. "I can't believe anyone would do that. First Quintus, now this... We're never going to get our freedom back if Maskamery keep colluding with the enemy."

"They're colluding with the enemy because the enemy is offering them a better deal. A new lord of Bolebund wouldn't have to share power with the Abbess. He'd rule the city himself."

"Under the thumb of the Empire."

"Just as they were under the thumb of the royal family. What difference does it make if you see an opportunity for wealth and power?"

Iora looked disgusted, but it was, she thought, a practical matter. This was the problem with the resistance. They believed in their own ideals and couldn't see why anyone else would need a motivation to join beyond that. Prince Bakra believed himself the rightful ruler of the queendom. Iora believed in the cause, in fighting for the spirit of the nation. Markus did too. But most people were just trying to survive. People like Flavia taking care of her sick mother, the Maskamery soldiers who needed to put food on the table. And if those in charge benefited from the new world, why go back to the old one?

And the losers, she thought, well, they can't do anything about it anyway.

"Iora," she said. "Did you ask Bakra about the temple? The door?"

Iora hesitated. "I asked."

"And?"

"You mustn't open it. That's his command, he was very clear about that."