43. The Temple

The heart enflames with blade's bright blood;

The men doth ride; the maids doth run;

So to unleash the beasts of war.

Geraldin Montbretton's To War

"No," she said. "No, no, no, you can't be here, Markus! Why are you here?"

She hadn't planned for this. Markus wasn't supposed to be here; he was supposed to be safe.

His smile disappeared. He shook his head, expression grim. "I'm here to finish what I started."

"Markus..." Lord Gideon had arranged this, she knew it. That smug smile said it all. "You can't... You don't know how dangerous this is. Don't put yourself at risk. Please."

"I'm killing the Chancellor, Val," he said. "You can't stop me."

Her retort died in her mouth. There was nothing she could say that would convince him. Markus was the most stubborn person she had ever known.

And his presence threatened everything.

She swallowed, looking over Markus's shoulder as Prince Bakra emerged from the boat in his guard's uniform. The prince handed over the wooden case to Gideon.

"Valerie," he said. "You say that the Chancellor is waiting for us?"

"In the temple," she said. "That's where I told him to wait for me. He thinks Lord Gideon is delivering the crown jewels."

She glanced at Gideon as she said that, but he didn't look perturbed. He planned for betrayal, she thought. Or he's been working with Avon all along.

"To the temple, then," said Bakra. "We take care of Avon first, then open the gates and storm the palace. My men are waiting outside."

"What if we're spotted?"

"I'll help you make a quick getaway," said Markus. "We've done it before, haven't we?"

When they'd fled her village during the Empire's invasion. Oh, Maska. She swallowed, tasting bile at the back of her throat.

"Well, then," said Bakra. "Onwards, we march!"

No choice. She would have to improvise.

And so onwards they marched. They made a bizarre foursome, Gideon leading the way with the wooden case, Bakra behind him, Valerie in the middle slowing all of them down in her dress and heels, and Markus bringing up the rear, hand resting on the sword at his hip. The helmets they wore didn't entirely cover the face but did cover their hair. She supposed no one would question Gideon's personal guards.

She was right.

They crossed the grounds and entered the palace, making their way through the gallery. No one stopped them. They passed other guards who saluted and let them through. They didn't meet any of the courtiers, who were likely still making merry in the ballroom. Had anyone noticed she was missing?

Her heart raced. They entered the temple. The smell of incense, once soothing, instead made her breathe faster. Usually the guards in the temple stood watch by the steps leading down to the Forbidden Chamber, which was the only prohibited area. But tonight there was a sentry at each pillar and none at the steps. Gideon ignored them, marching on by. The guards saluted. Valerie tried not to look, to act as if she had every right to be here...

Almost there. Down the steps, the seal's magic once again calling to her, warning her...

In the chamber below the temple, Lord Avon was waiting in full armour, accompanied by Captain Doryn and three guards.