Commissioner And Executioner (End)

Blood of his enemies were splattered on his pure regal attire, and the glow in his eyes became murderous each passing hour he had to fight the Fatui. The anxiety and anticipation to meet the executioner at the end of the line was getting to him. Ayato was on the verge of not caring about his own wellbeing and continue to sprint towards the other side of the battlefield, a dangerous feat considering Thoma wouldn't be around defending him.

He had his Haran beheading all the Fatui who dares to assault him while riding on his white stallion. He did it almost effortlessly after years of practice.

Pests.

All of them.

I must get rid of them.

The commissioner sprinted forward and continued to search for the executioner amidst the thickening fog. He held one last hope in his hands, hoping to see the executioner in one piece; not battered and bruised. The worst case scenario was that they didn't survive the war. He knew he would wage another war if that happened and never return to his homeland.

A warlord wouldn't have been beated easily, he mused. But his search so far brought him disappointing results.

His field of vision became limited, especially at the epicenter of the battle, but in a split second, he saw a familiar figure using an all rounded cryo burst. The moves were familiar, especially with the white and gold regal attire from another land.

His heart skipped a beat.

"ASTREA!!!"

Ayato shouted, desperately trying to reach the raging warlord who was eliminating their enemies and bring victory to their name.

A pair of golden eyes met lavender, and the executioner's attacks stopped, revealing more dead bodies circled around them. Astrea stared at the familiar face; knowing things have come full circle and the amnesiac spell on him didn't work anymore.

Ayato stepped down from his stallion to meet Astrea, his expression tense and different than his usual composure. He knew he didn't care that the warmonger made him forget the times they've spent together, he knew he revoked a marriage ceremony that would make him a bachelor for the rest of life- he didn't care.

Because it was fine. As long as he could see Astrea again and tell them the words that were stuck in his throat for so long.

"Good lord, praise the Almighty Shogun. You're doing fine, and you've won the war." Ayato spoke, his voice was starting to crack. His hands wanted to hold the executioner and call her his.

My executioner.

He held himself back. There was no touching, no hugging, nothing beyond the ordinary. The two looked into each other's eyes as the air between them turned heavier every second that passes. The pitch black sky was starting to turn purple, closer to the dawn.

Astreanova unequipped the claymore and closed her eyes. There was nothing left to be done.

The war is over.

"Ayato." The name felt heavy on the executioner's lips, as if it was foreign.

"Thank you for everything you've done for me."

Ayato could feel his heart was starting to sink. Things had to end eventually, as the executioner he loves is a warlord from another land. Astrea will never be able to reside in one place. The days he spent with her is numbered from the start.

He closed his eyes for a minute, finding the last bit of composure in a cacophony of feelings. He couldn't find the correct words to express everything without seeming like a hopeless fool.

Ayato had silently cursed his existence.

The same way he did when he had to shoulder a huge responsibility at a young age.

A sea of thoughts and flashbacks entered his mind and they were horrible ones. His misery, his loneliness. Only all of a sudden he heard a faint sound of a heartbeat, due to his ancient Kamisato art.

It was faint but calming, calm enough to stop the hurricane in his mind.

He felt a familiar gloved hand caressing his head, giving a pat on the light blue strands that was covering his forehead.

Ayato immediately opened his eyes.

"Until we meet again, commissioner."

Astrea remained in that stance, gifting him a soft smile he has never seen before. He witnessed a faint glow in the executioner's golden eyes, and it was of acceptance and peace.

The last time he had someone caress his head was when his beloved mother was alive. A fond memory entered his mind as young boy who managed to wield the katana on his own.

"Good job, my beloved son."

She would give him a pat on the head and a warm hug.

"I'm proud of you, Ayato."

He had no regrets. The storm of thoughts in his mind dissipated, revealing a clean slate. Perhaps it was time for a new start. The commissoner smiled back; returning the favor to the executioner that he always wanted.

"You'll always have a place in Inazuma, and in my heart." Ayato spoke softly.

Astrea smiled and crossed their arms.

"I suppose you're right."

"I always am." Ayato replied, feeling more relieved than he ever was.

A/N: I went for an open ending due to the nature of their jobs

A/N: I went for an open ending due to the nature of their jobs. There would always be a time when Astrea would visit Inazuma, or Ayato visiting their hometown since it's canon that he goes on trips too, so yes there might be a bonus romance chapter if I'm down to write it ofc 👀

Thank you for reading this book btw, never expected it to blew up especially last year. I love all my readers xoxo