Coming Home

As Kate stood in the waiting area, the front room of the rehab center with Rick and Alexis at her side, she couldn't believe she was finally getting her father back. With Alexis' one arm holding Kate's pant leg, she linked her father and Kate by holding his hand as well. As time continued to pass, another minute slipping away, Alexis looked up at Kate and asked, "Where is he?"

"He's coming," Kate said, more for herself than for the child. "He's just- taking his time." She didn't say it, but Kate was anxious. Rick could tell. So, as she stood there, starting into the distance, Rick took his hand and placed it on her shoulder, partially rubbing her muscle after feeling how tense it had become. She didn't ease up, however. She was too nervous. She couldn't settle down until she saw him.

Then, when she did, her heart filled totally in seconds. Her father was there. He was clean. He was... He was smiling. His arms were outstretched for her, reaching for her with his typical gentleness. She rushed toward him the moment she saw him, leaving Alexis for a moment as Rick lifted her from the ground. Kate, in her father's hold, melted. A flood of tears threatened in her eyes as she held tight to the man she never thought she would see again. He was himself again. He was whole. He was- everything she thought she lost for good.

"Hi, Katie," Jim said softly. He didn't know what else to say.

Lightly, Kate replied, "Hi, dad," and pulled away to look into his eyes. Rick and Alexis had followed behind Kate, both excited to see her father.

Jim saw Rick and held out his hand for him as both men smiled at each other. Jim was the first to greet, "Good to see you, Ricky."

"Good to see you too, sir," the writer agreed.

Jim then looked at the young girl on the floor and said, "And how is little Alexis?"

The girl smiled, "Are you all better now? Daddy said you were sick."

"Alexis," Rick chastised.

Jim laughed. "It's okay," he told her father, then looking back to Alexis. "I am much better now, Alexis. Thank you for asking."

"Welcome," the child said.

Rick then breathed heavily and asked, "So, Jim, are you ready to get out of this place? Your house has missed you, and we still have a stop to make before we get there."

"A stop," Jim questioned.

Kate smiled. "Yeah, dad, you- you never got to see the loft. And- we have something we want to show you." Kate's smile rose and lit up, not only the room, but her father's heart. She was- happy. She was strong. She was alright despite the year she had been through. Seeing her this way, seeing her smile, seeing her so... happy, it made everything alright. She was happy, and so was he.

When they got to the loft, Kate took Alexis from Rick and allowed him to use his key to unlock the door. When it opened, Rick stepped in and held the door open for everyone. Jim timidly stepped in first, and Kate followed him, putting Alexis down when they got through the door so that she could help her take off her coat. While Kate helped the child, Rick told Jim, "Welcome to our humble abode."

Jim was in awe of the home. It was somehow elegant and sophisticated with a comfortable feel, yet the doll house and toy lightsabers and children's toys and a million other things made the home feel like a child's paradise. And he knew the writer had money, he had helped pay for Jim's month-long stay at the rehab center and still had had the money to save for his children and been able to support Kate, his daughter, and their unborn son. But he had no idea the amount of money Rick's books brought in monthly. With the second Derek Storm story already half written (in preparation for a hiatus when the baby's born), Rick clearly had no money troubles at all.

What was truly amazing to him, however, was how this place seemed to fit exactly the kid of place he thought his daughter would have when she grew up. He just- thought for sure that was a ways away. He- never thought that at nineteen, his daughter would be living the life of a thirty year-old. It was slightly hard to face. But- she was clearly ready. She was clearly handling it well. And based on how much trust she had in the writer, based on how central he had become in her life, based on her smile every time she looked at him, she had found her one and only. She found her lover. She found her home.

"Dad," Kate questioned, pulling her father from his trance. She had, in his time in a daze, made her way in front of him, and into Rick's arms.

He blinked twice, looking at her, a soft look on his face and gentleness in his voice as he said, "It's beautiful, Katie." Her face hinted at pleasure as she thanked him.

Rick then offered, "Well, would you like something to drink? Some Water? Juice? A Coke?"

"No, no, I'm alright," the man said and waved.

Alexis then looked to her father and asked, "Daddy, can I have some water?"

"Sure sweetheart," he said to Alexis, then looking to Kate to ask, "Do you want anything?"

"No, I'm alright."

"You sure? You don't want to get dehydrated."

"I'm sure, Rick. Thank you, though," she said, doing everything she could to not get annoyed with him. He meant well, but she could take care of herself, and that wasn't something he was one hundred percent used to yet. After four years with Meredith and pretty much having to remind her of everything when she was home, he still had a habit of babying Kate a bit. But it was nothing she couldn't handle. And it wasn't anything she wasn't happy to overlook for a short while.

Kate and her father then moved further into the apartment, Alexis sitting on Kate's lap as she sat on the couch and her father sat in the chair to her right. Jim, in trying to find conversation, asked about his grandson and how she was doing. Eventually they got to stories about school and life in general. Kate told her father about her second job and how much she was enjoying tutoring Cavin who was getting so much better at reading than she thought he would be in a month. Alexis then told Jim proudly that she was learning to read too, and that Kate helped her every night before bed. To this, Jim asked, "You read to her before bed?" Kate nodded happily. "You know, your mother and I used to read to you every night when you were little. By the time you were four years old, you used to take the books from us and tell us the stories yourself. Of course, you couldn't really read then, but you would still insist you knew the stories as you made stuff up to go with the pictures."

"I did that," Kate asked in disbelief.

Jim continued to chuckle, "Every night."

"Huh," Kate stated, slumping down a bit, "I really don't remember that."

"Doesn't surprise me," Rick replied, "You are pretty stubborn."

Kate's brow collapsed inward. "I'm not stubborn."

Jim grinned, "Yes, Katie, yes you are." To her father, Kate just rolled her eyes. Jim then told her, "It's not a bad thing, Katie. It's- it's how your mother made a living. You're- exactly like she was when we first met. Strong, smart, and stubborn." Kate smiled.

Rick then leaned over to his girl, whispering softly, "And so very sexy."

"So! Dad," Kate started, rejecting Rick's statement, "Alexis has some exciting news. Lex, tell him what Gram and you did yesterday while daddy and I go talk for a minute." As Alexis rambled on, Rick and Kate rose from the couch, Kate half kidnapping the writer as he cluelessly followed her. When they got to the kitchen, Kate asked her writer under her breath, "Should we tell him?"

"What? No! Kate, we said we weren't going to say anything to anyone until we were certain."

"Can you think of anything better?" The writer waited and sighed. "I didn't think so. Come on, Rick. Please."

Rick sighed. "One more week, and if we can't think of anything better, we can tell him."

Kate let slight disappointment on to her face before giving in. "Alright. One more week."

With a smile on his face, his hand resting around her waist, he leaned in and told his lover, "I love you."

"Yeah, yeah," she said. Her writer then leaned in and kissed her jawline, causing a smile to light up her face. She was just happy to have him.