Dreams and Nightmares

A.N: Hey guys, for those of you who read my pretty much daily updates and don't binge read at the end of the week, I'm not sure those updates will be daily anymore. My job at a sleep away camp doesn't offer much free time to write or internet access. So, I will do my best, but I can't promise anything more than a few updates a week. I still love you all and thank you for reading however it is that you read. You guys are the best. ( ˘ ³˘)❤ (^▽^)
-------------------------------------------------------------

That night, when Kate and Rick got home, their excitement finally had to boil down as they realized that they had no idea what they were supposed to tell Alexis. Even when Meredith walked out of the restaurant as per Rick's suggestion, she still seemed pretty ticked off. Despite his words, Rick had a feeling that wasn't the end of this battle, and that feeling was only stronger in Kate's mind. Still, they knew one thing for sure: Alexis would definitely always be able to call Kate her mom, and for now, that was really all that mattered to the little girl.

When they told Alexis, she seemed happy, although she didn't totally understand. Martha, on the other hand, seemed... strange. She was happy for her son and she was very open about congratulating the two of them, but something seemed to be holding her back from exploding in joy. Rick had no idea what it was, and neither did Kate, but given the fact that his mother rarely had problems a three year-old could understand, he didn't say anything to her while they were in the apartment. Just before they left, Rick told his mother he would be by the next day to talk. She told him she didn't need it and that everything was fine just before she rushed to shove him out the door.

Before they got half way home, Alexis passed out in the backseat. Walking the mall all day with Meredith had worn her out, and she wasn't about to let uneven roads interrupt her coma-like sleep. Kate looked back at the little girl whose seat was directly behind hers, imagining for a moment that there was an infant-sized car seat beside her. She had to smile. It was everything she had only ever thought she would have in her dreams. "This is so... perfect, Rick."

"I know," he smiled, looking at her for only a moment before refocusing on the road.

She then looked up at him, still in a partial haze, wrapped up in the moment as she told him, "I love you."

"I love you too," he answered, taking her hand with his. He was unable to wipe the serene look away from his lips, just as she was unable to as well.

When they got to the loft, Rick took Alexis upstairs and Kate picked up the book Alexis had wanted her to read that morning. She then joined her writer in the room upstairs which was lit pink by a dim nightlight. It only took a moment for Kate to see how absolutely out of it Alexis was and to realize that tonight there was no story time. The two then kissed the child's forehead one by one, told her they loved her, and started out of the room. Kate was stopped in the doorway, however, by the simple glance of the young girl's cherubic looks. She was absolutely astonishing in every way, that little girl who had stole Kate's heart long before her father managed to do so. One more glimpse at her for a minute that didn't seem long enough, then she was out the door with her writer, and down the stairs, headed toward their bed.

Back and Forth (A Castle Fanfiction)On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara