40

☆ ━━━━ ❛ᴜ ᴋ ɪ ʏ ᴏ ❜ ━━━━ ☆

^(n.) living in the moment, detached

from the bothers of life ^

☆ ━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━ ☆

Euphemia and Fleamont Potter proved to be Elara's favorite adults the second hour she walked into their toasty elegant manor. The mansion was open and breezy and a door was almost always open. Light filtered through the sky-high windows and beamed down on many squashy and relaxed living rooms. They were almost identical to the Gryffindor common room. There was even a cascading shining staircase in the entrance room. The house somehow was classic and sophisticated yet inviting and warm. And the grounds were even more magical. Trees covered the whole yard with bright little flowers peeking out from the lush grass. Elara hadn't even gone behind the manor but from the windows she could see acres and acres of land. She could easily imagine James growing up happy and free there.

They spent the first afternoon of break wandering around in London, a place Elara didn't know existed. But James explained it to her as the Hogsmeade of the muggle world so she had hope. That hope immediately diminished when they apparated in the middle of a messy crowd on a cobblestone street. Smoke hung over the grimy townhouses and people coughed all around her. There were no flowers, aside from fake ones in display cases, and there were no gowns that came close to the ones in Darla's Dazzling Dress Boutique. From what Peter told her the only reason they were there was for Sirius, so he could buy albums from someone named David Bowie and Queen. Elara didn't know who those people were, only that Lily was obsessed with Queen. She also didn't know what an album was or the thing Sirius purchased called a record player. Remus told her it was music and that it was a tradition Sirius and Fleamont had to go into London every break to see if there was any new music. Elara only looked in the bookshop next door.

The salesman in the store was polite enough but wouldn't stop hovering over her until she finally picked out a book she liked. 'The Princess Bride' was the only thing she could find in the cramped blistering hot shop. The cover was a calming blue with faint gold details lining the edges. Euphemia insisted on buying it for her, along with her own favorites, 'There was an Old Lady who Swallowed a Fly' and 'Burr'. Elara accepted gratefully.

When she walked happily out of the store with a bag of new books in her hand, someone puked right next to her and some of the vomit sprayed on her shoes. James, Sirius, Peter, Remus, and Fleamont all burst out laughing while Euphemia yelled at the vomiting man for being inconsiderate and ruining a little girl's shoes. Elara left London that day with two discoveries; London was nothing like Hogsmeade and Euphemia Potter was the kindest and most brilliant woman she'd ever met.