| Chapter Forty-three | Return

When I got there, I found Kyojuro leaning over the desk and his hands gripped it so tight that I could see the tension in his arms.

He looked up at us, and raced from the room and out to the yard. Shinazugawa followed quickly and stopped on the porch.

I made it to the porch and watched as Kyojuro lifted his sword and began to swing it.

"He's a demon slayer? That's a nichirin blade." Shinazugawa said.

"Flame Breathing: Second Form: Rising Scorching Sun!"

Kyojuro swung his sword upwards and in a beautiful arc, released flame from his sword.

"What's with you and Flame Breathing users, Rika?" Shinazugawa asked.

Kyojuro continued to swing, and used his breathing forms. I could only assume it was helping his mind be distracted. He often told me it helped when he started to think too much.

I only hoped that he wouldn't use too many of Kyojuro's stances. There were some movements, and the way he held his sword that only Kyojuro did. I glanced up at Shinazugawa, and he watched Kyojuro closely.

"If we don't get Rengoku back, this guy could probably be a good fill in for a Flame Hashira. Those movements are smooth, and he knows what he's doing. He can probably handle himself in battle pretty well. What rank is he?"

Hashira. But I couldn't say that.

"I don't know." I said.

"Hey! Kaito! What rank are you in the corps?" He asked.

Kyojuro dropped his arms and turned to us, panting.

"Kinoe." He said.

Shinazugawa jumped from the porch and quickly approached Kyojuro. He raised a leg in a kick and Kyojuro blocked it.

"Show me what you have!" Shinazugawa said.

I watched as the two sparred, and then they went for the bokken and picked them up. Then they began sparring using their breathing styles.

They sparred for a while and then Shinazugawa dropped his bokken and smirked, then turned away. He jumped onto the porch and turned to me.

"Who trained this guy?" He asked.

"I don't know." I said.

"He knows what he's doing, and how can he hold his own against a Hashira?" He muttered.

"He has talent, I guess."

Then Shinazugawa smirked at me.

"I don't think that's it. It's something else, isn't it? He holds his sword with two hands as he runs. He crouches with one leg out a little further in front of the other. And when he kneels, it's a wide kneel."

I looked at him, not sure how to respond.

"Ah, well I hope we get Rengoku back. We need our Flame Hashira. Hopefully he's found."

Shinazugawa to the door and slid it open. Before he went through, he turned back to me.

"Right, Rika?"

"Yes." I said.

He smirked again then went into the house. Kyojuro put away the bokken and joined me on the porch.

"Are you alright?" I asked.

He put a hand on my shoulder and smiled.

"I will be. Thank you, Rika."

We went to the dining room and Shinazugawa was there sitting at the table. Kyojuro sat across from him, and I sat where I was before.

Shinazugawa began to eat the lunch that was left sitting there. Kyojuro hesitated, but picked up his chopsticks and ate silently.