| Chapter Fifty-one | Family

Mura Fuji

I watched as the fireball flew forward. He rushed so far forward that he made it to a distant tree. He dove through it and the tree collapsed.

The Flame abruptly disappeared and I watched the Flame Hashira stand frozen. His hands dropped to his side and I could see that he was indeed about to collapse.

"Oh fuck." I said.

I ran forward in an attempt to prevent him from hitting the ground, but I wasn't fast enough and he dropped to his knees then fell back.

He laid there, staring at the sky as I approached. My eyes landed on his face, and his eyes were half open. His lips were slightly open, and his teeth were pressed together. He looked like he was in pain.

"Uh, you alright? Do I need to call for a Kakushi?" I asked.

"No." He groaned.

"Alright..."

"I just need to lay here a while." He said.

"Alright. But holy crap. I've heard talk about the Flame Hashira's unique form, but seeing it in person is something else!"

He didn't respond, only laid there and stared up. He looked like he was about to die, and I was a bit concerned. Rika wouldn't be happy if I came back telling her that her husband used an incredible form and died from it.

"You sure you're alright, Lord Ren- Kyojuro?"

"Yes." He said.

"You did warn me this would happen, I just didn't think it would take this much out of you. Guess it's a last resort move, huh?"

"Yes. Always."

"I can also see you only wanting to use it when you're not in a small village or area. But hey! That was cool! You really are amazing, Flame Hashira." I said.

I sat down next to him, and just waited for him to recover. While he did so, I thought about what I had just seen. I wasn't surprised now that the Rengoku family were meant to fill the role of Hashira. I've heard about them and how far back their line goes.

I had nothing. The Flame Hashira had his best form named after himself. The Water Hashira created his own form and named it himself. The Wind Hashira mastered the most difficult style of breathing.

The Hashira all had pretty good reasons for why they fit the title so well. And now I was shown why Lord Rengoku had the title.

"The Hashira are terrifyingly powerful. But seeing more into the life of one, you're just regular guys aren't you? You all have your daily problems, just like we do."

I leaned back and propped myself up on my hands. I turned to the tree that he destroyed. To become a Hashira, you must defeat one of the twelve moons, or fifty demons...

I wasn't sure how many I had defeated, and I wasn't sure if I could handle one of the twelve demons. If I was being fully honest, I didn't care either. My goal wasn't to become a Hashira. It was simply to be sure others didn't suffer at the hands of demons the way my family had.

I did want to build my strength and skills to improve myself, but the end goal wasn't to become a Hashira. My eyes widened as I recalled that my sister was going to be a Hashira.

Rika would be a Hashira, and that meant that there was something that made her unique. What was it? I needed to know. I had to witness her skills.

I was unable to hold back a laugh as another thought came to me. She would become a Hashira and the other slayers would be expected to address her with respect.