| Chapter Forty-six | Research

Kyojuro Rengoku

I led Rika from the bedroom and together we walked to the kitchen. I decided to make something simple, and made some rice, then rice balls.

She grabbed herself some water, and took one of the rice balls I prepared with a sly grin. I looked st her incredulously, pretending to be offended.

"How could you? I put my heart and soul into that!" I said.

I hung my head and sniffled. I took a deep breath and dramatically shifted my shoulders.

"Kyo, I'm sorry, I can help you make more." She said.

I watched from the corner of my eye, trying not to smile as she stepped closer to me trying to comfort me.

I quickly raised my head in a smile, and wrapped my arms around her, laughing.

"I'm kidding, my love. Take as many as you want." I said.

"Kyo!" She scolded. "I thought you were really upset."

"That's called acting, my love." I said.

"Yeah sure, you could be an actor, but you're still really bad at lying."

"I don't think that is such a bad thing." I said.

"No. My Kyo is just too honest." She said.

She grabbed another rice ball. I held the plate out to her and she took it with a smile. While I continued to make rice, she ate the rice balls I had ready made. It would appear that she was hungry as well but wasn't saying so. I smiled as she devoured each one.

As she finished the eight I set out, I made another ten and set them out once more. I turned to her with a raised brow, waiting. Would she eat those as well? I watche as she eyed them, and I grabbed the plate holding it out to her. She shook her head and passed her plate back to me.

"So, it would seem that you are finished." I said.

"Yes, I don't think I could eat more." She said.

We'll see about that, won't we? I lifted the plate filled with rice balls and carried it to the dining room. My hands set it down in the center of the table, and we sat down.

"Rika, where was the house located that you lived in as a child?" I asked.

She looked down at her hands. I hated that I had to keep bringing up her past, but I needed to know.

"It wasn't that far from Kyoto." She said.

Kyoto...

My gut feeling struck again, and before I started to eat, I rose. Rika watched curiously as I went to the door.

"Kyo? I thought you were hungry." She said.

"Yes. I have to do something and then I will eat."

I slid the door open and went back to the bedroom. If my instinct was correct, like it usually was, then this was the right thing to do.

I went to the desk and grabbed the letter I had written. I quickly scanned it and nodded. It would suffice. My fingers carefully folded it and I tucked it into my sleeve.