*.~°neteyam x y/n°~.*

neteyam x human!sleepdeprived!y/n

~

neteyams pov

i've been struggling to sleep the past few nights, and so once again i am wondering around the village when i notice the lab lights still on in the late hours of the night.

i know the exact person who is responsible for the light pouring out of the wide windows of the metal building.

"what are you still doing up?" i call out through the lab as i walk through the doors and grab an oxygen mask.

a gasp comes from y/n as her head lifts up from resting on her hand, turning in her chair to face me.

"neteyam, what are you doing up so late?" a yawn escaping her mouth as soon as she had finished speaking the last word of her question.

"i asked first." i respond as she spins back in her chair, looking over the work in front of her, "just trying to finish fixing this panel for the link unit."

i take a few steps closer, leaning in to look at the thin rectangular box in her hands and ask, "what's wrong with it?"

she lets out another yawn before answering, "it keeps shutting itself down and cutting norms avatar travels short." she gives her self a small smirk after making that comment.

"i bet he isn't too happy about that." she lets out a small exhale through her nose, "no he isn't, that's why i've been trying to fix it, but-" cutting herself off with another yawn. "-i can't seem to figure out what exactly is wrong."

"maybe you should get a good night's rest and start back up in the morning?" trying to convince her to get at the very least a few hours of sleep after her excessive yawns through our short conversation.

shaking her head, she gives a small grumble, "i'm so close to fixing," she blinks her eyes a couple times trying to wake herself, "i can feel it," hunching over more to get closer to the exposed wires of the metal box in her hands.

only for her head to continue falling before crashing on the desk before shooting back up with a sharp inhale before looking around at her surroundings, confused.

"when was the last time you slept?" i question her with a frown on my face as i move around the chair to stand next to her sitting form. "mm, a few days ago?" her face scrunched as her answer came out as more of a question.

i pick up the metal rectangle from her hands and place in back down on the desk infront of her, saying "maybe you should go to bed." looking at her face closer, i see  just how deep the dark bags under her eyes had become and a slight red mark on her forehead from banging it on the desk.

"just a few more minutes.... i'm so close to finishing." her words slightly slurred together. i could only give a small smile and shake my head before grabbing the arm of her chair and spinning it the face me.

"come on, i'll take you to bed, cause i really doubt you'll make it there yourself." starting to pick up the small girl, reaching one arm under her knees and the other around her back.

"mhm," she lets out as a small agreement before her head falls back and i start walking through the lab towards the human sleeping quarters.

walking down a narrow hallway with doors on either side, every few steps, i finally make it to y/n's room, inputting her room code to open the door.

ducking slightly through the frame, the door closing itself behind me, and turning the light on for a brief second before turning it off, y/n let out a light hiss as it agitated their eyes.

the room was small, really only having space for the bed, wardrobe, a small mirror screwed into the wall, and the small window above the end of the bed.

'this room is probably as long as i am tall.'

shuffling around the books, clothes, and other random items on the floor, i try to make it towards the bed in the corner of the room without stepping on anything.

i manage to carefully place y/n on their bed as they start to stir awake from their light sleep.

"mmm, neteyam, can you stay?" y/n mumbles before stretching and rolling from her back and onto her side.

"i would be happy to, but i don't think i'd fit on your human bed," i say, looking at the entire length of the room once again.

y/n let's out a deep sigh. "you could just curl up like a little woodsprite," she explains while bringing one of her hands up infront of her squinted eyes and pinching her fingers together, only leaving a small gap between her index and thumb.

the small amount of light in the room just allows me to see the soft, small smile on y/n face.

squatting down to be face-to-face with her, i bring my hand up and rest it on the side of her head, cupping the majority of her head in just one hand.

"you're so cute when you're sleepy," i tell her as my thumb slowly rubs back and forth on her check bone, "does that mean you'll stay?" her big eyes looking up at mine, i swear i could see all of polyphemus in them.

giving y/n a small smirk before standing up, "yeh i'll stay but you'll need to scoot over," then laying down on the bed.

stretching my legs out to see just how small y/ns bed was compared to me, i wasn't shocked when my knees hung off the end on the bed and my feet just scratched the wall, before rolling on my side and bending my knees enough till just my feet hanging off the bed.

"you should put your mask on before you fall asleep." looking toward the girl laying infront of me before looking down at the silicone mask hanging around my neck, which i had completely forgotten about.

"it won't be too loud for you, will it?" i ask, wanting to make sure i wouldn't disturb her much-needed sleep. "no, of course not." y/n answers, giving me a small
doe-eyed smile.

i give her a nod before putting the strings of the mask over my head and pulling the plastic over my nose and mouth. looking back up to y/n i see her eyes are already closed and breath is steady.

"sleep tight."

~

word count : 1117