*.~°kiri x y/n°~.*

TW : mentions of maternal death (briefly)

requested by wolfblood1732

kiri x halfbreed!y/n

~

y/n pov

i have been alone my whole life, abandoned in the forest. well, maybe not completely alone; i was raised by the animals, specifically a group of thanators, who were my family, although i was definitely adopted.

i also have a friend, although i think we're more. her name is kiri, and she is the only native blue person to not stare at me in fear instead she stared intrigued.

she had tried to explain to me many times since our first meeting when we were kids that i must be part human, but i didn't know what a human was or why i suddenly was one.

kiri's clan would often send out hunters (i think that's what she called them), and somehow they always managed to stumble upon my family and i.

they'd give me weird looks, confused as to what i was, but they'd leave as soon as the thanators growled and gave them a look that said, "move along, and we won't hurt you." there was mutual peace between us and them.

i knew i was different from them. sure, i wasn't blue, but i still had pointed ears and sharp teeth, and i hissed like them. i was also taller than some of those blue people.

kiri had explained why i wasn't blue and why i had the skin tone of a human. she had started to speculate that my mother was human, and that's why i was alone in the forest. a na'vi woman would have survived the birth of a giant baby.

a lot of kiri's explanations fell on my deaf ears; i had never learned how to talk growing up with a pack of wild animals. they only ever taught me how to growl at my prey before pouncing on them.

kiri had taught me some basics when we were younger. we'd lie in the grass, and kiri would roll around, telling me to listen to the heartbeat of eywa. i didn't know who eywa was or why their heartbeat was underground, but i'd always do as kiri said.

kiri would tell me about her family. her eldest brother, neteyam, who was the "golden child," lo'ak, who was a misfit, and little tuk, who was the sweetest, and spider, whom she'd mentioned wasn't technically family but was a close friend of hers,

she'd also tell me stories of her adoptive parents when they fought in the war against the sky people: how her father, jake sully, was toruk makto and once a human, and her mother, neytiri, was palulukan makto and a mighty warrior, and how her biological mother was a smart and caring woman.

i had asked about her biological father once, and kiri said she didn't know who he was; no one did, which is why her clan often referred to her as the daughter of eywa.

kiri told me a load of other things, but it was hard to understand. she'd point out certain plants and say something, or she'd talk about different animals, and i could only ever guess what she was saying by the tone of her voice or the expression she held on her face.

when we were kids, it was hard to connect with kiri, not knowing a single thing i do now. i had almost killed her when we first met.

~

i was stalking towards my pray. it was sitting down by a small river, cupping its hand and bringing it up to its face to drink.

i was just behind it, ready to pounce, ready to rip its throat out and bring its body back to my family to celebrate.

i take one more step forward and push off the ground, ready to tackle my prey, when my front foot slips, and instead of finally getting my first kill, i slip and roll down the small bank.