*.~°jake + y/n°~.*

dad!jake + na'vi!y/n

~

y/n pov

neteyam, lo'ak, and i are flying around in the air above blazing fires and avoiding crashing helicopters as they're shot out of the sky. we watched as the large group of warriors yipped as they scavenged through different crates of weapons that they had pulled from the blown-up train.

"bro, we have got to get down there." lo'ak comments as he watches the action: "no way, dad will skin us." neteyam warns lo'ak of the future punishment we will get if we do go down there.

"come on, don't be a wuss." lo'ak teases neteyam, "lo'ak." i give the boy a firm warning, but lo'ak ignores both neteyam's and my protests about joining in on the raid as he flies off, separating from us: "lo'ak, get back here, you-agh!" neteyam calls for lo'ak before quickly following after him. i roll my eyes at my brother before flying after both of them.

once we all reach the ground and hop off our ikrans, lo'ak has his bow in hand, ready to fight if needed, as he runs off towards the action. "bro, let's go! come on!" he calls out behind him to neteyam, who is running off after our idiotic brother "lo'ak." neteyam calls for lo'ak, hoping he would stop and listen, but he doesn't "lo'ak." neteyam calls out for him again.

i let out a sigh and ran after my brothers, knowing i would be the one keeping them out of trouble once i caught up with them. lo'ak was yipping with a gun in his hand, presumably from the man behind him who was handing them out.

"lo'ak," i call for him as i stand by neteyam, who can only look at lo'ak in disbelief, shaking his head. lo'ak walks over towards us. "you don't even know how to use it," neteyam comments, referring to the massive gun in lo'ak's hands. lo'ak loads and cocks the gun. "dad taught me," he says smugly, proving neteyam wrong.

lo'ak lifts the gun and positions it comfortably in his hands, aiming it around. i grab lo'ak's elbow, giving it a squeeze, and say, "put it down. you could hurt somebody." i demand, giving the boy a harsh look.

there is a loud and raspy yip let out by someone standing atop a broken-down carriage from the train, signalling that there is a human gunship inbound. everyone around us starts to act quickly, frantically getting ready to take off and get away from the incoming threat.

the gunship lets off two missiles further down the train tracks, and neteyam, lo'ak, and i start running back towards our ikran, desperately trying to get back to safety.

"come on," lo'ak calls back at neteyam and me as we run just behind him, as we desperately clamber up metal debris that was in our way. my mind seems to go numb as i hear the loud whistle of another missile, this time a lot closer.

"go! go!" i push neteyam, who is in front of me, further ahead as both of us climb the metal container as lo'ak is running below us, avoiding having to climb over the train carriage.

there is a sudden rush of heat behind me that rapidly surges up my back and propels me into the air. it felt like slow motion as i was suddenly flying over the train carriage i was once standing on, yet at the same time it all felt too fast as i rapidly approached the dry ground. i landed harshly and rolled a few times before stopping on my side, my back facing where the missile had just gone off.

although i hadn't blacked out, everything still seemed a blur. my eyes couldn't focus, and my ears were ringing loudly. i felt vibrations in the ground, and i flinched just a bit, not knowing if it was another missile.

my back felt hot and tingly, my adrenaline keeping me from feeling the true pain of the severe burns that now grace my back. my throat stung with every breath i took, the smoke seemingly scratching my insides. small cuts lined my arms and legs, dripping only small bits of blood, and bruises that darkened my skin and throbbed with every small twitch i made.