3; Virago's Beating Heart

Abuja.

Mariam walked inside the hospital with her head held up high feeling as though there is no one like her because there isn't. There is only one Mariam Abdou Baldé in the entire world. Her blood scarlet pumps clacked gently on the tiled floor, her face featuring a scowl that makes everyone scared to be on her way. One of her brows is raised aloof helping the arrogant tilt of her nose right beneath her RayBan shades.

They arrived at the doctor's office, OB/GYN to check her health because she hadn't been feeling good lately so she told her paramour who is extremely influential with enough money to feed Nigeria and other African countries. He ordered his assistant to book the most sought out doctor in Nigeria for her which he did in less than an hour, something that takes forever.

The doctor is hardly seen, even with an appointment. He's a busy and far-reaching man. She doesn't give a crap about that though, as long as her health will be checked. She is coveting that she is not pregnant. The symptoms were there, she needs to get them tackled as soon as possible. She was never pregnant in all her rendezvous, she wont start now no matter how rich her new paramour is. She's been with someone far richer anyway.

She vowed to never give birth because what is the essence of it? She won't be able to live life the way she wants to, it will hinder her success in the world of prostitution. People will look down at her. But she's never terminated pregnancy before in her life, she was more than careful throughout. Her pills are always taken with great care, the most overpriced ones out there. She hired a maid just to remind her when it's time to take them.

And her paramours never go bareback, she's extremely discerning.

Madina knocked at the door twice before an answer drifted to their ears so she opened the door tentatively. Mariam went ahead and entered before her, she is the patient here so he should see her first right? She stood in the middle of the office and perused over the room with slow investigation. The place is nice enough but not what she'd expected when she heard that he is the most sought after OB/GYN. He will do though.

She relegated the sunglasses from her face, traipsed to the two chairs facing an executive one and sat down without waiting for him to tell her to do so. It was two other heartbeats before her eyes landed on the doctor's. She tilted her head arrogantly trying to look more wealthy than she is, as if that would intimidate the intelligent man. More wealthy? She could count on her life that she's richer than him.

He is older than her with more than two decades with bald hair and face free of any hair. He's got this pretty caramel skin that glistened beneath the empire chandelier in his office, accentuating out the fact that he is not just any plebeian, he is living a healthy and moneyed life. Even from his sitting position, he looks tall, his body is folded but he's occupied the height of the chair he is sitting on. This man must've broken many hearts growing up. Is it his geriatric handsomeness or charming presence?

"Good morning, Miss Mariam?" He asked, his eyes on his computer to confirm whether she is the one with her name written there.

Mariam made a straight face. Why is he asking? She battered down her sack of sarcasm and answered. "Yes. Mariam."

"Yes, the right one. So what brought you here Mariam?" He gave her a panty-dropping smile that had her raising her brow moodily. She's not here for such good mannerism. He is clearly faking it.

"I missed my period for three days. I want to confirm whether or not I'm pregnant." She folded her arms in front of her, relaxing back on the large chair she is sitting on. It is swallowing her whole wee figure.

Doctor Nazeer stared at her in regalement while at the same time managing to look bewildered. She booked an appointment with him, —Dr. Nazeer, the busiest doctor in Nigeria— came late and she is now telling him she wanted to confirm whether or not she is pregnant? Why didn't she go to regular doctors for that? It's not hard finding out whether or not you are pregnant with advanced technology. And doesn't she know about the pregnancy kit? She should've used those instead of wasting his time.