4; Brewed Gemes

Abuja.

ABBAS surveyed the hospital in front of him then turned to his friend with a grimace of wonder. His friend who's already read through every single thought going through his head shrugged his shoulders. They both know this should be a wrong address handed over to them but it is not. This is where his uncle is admitted, this lavish and sumptuous looking hospital. Cedarcrest Hospitals Ltd.

He turned from his friend Jaleel who shook his head too as if he's read his entire thoughts, he did. They've been together since diapers and there is nothing they don't know about one another. Be it family history, deepest and darkest secrets, things that usually turn them off and whatnot.

Jaleel Abdurrahman is a great guy; his mother always says so all the time that Abbas tend to get jealous. Why would she always compliment the guy even though he knew he was amazing in everything he does right from young age? Abbas is younger than him with a few months but it sometimes feel like damn years between them. Not now though, they've all grown into respectable men of twenty eight striving to start a family of their own.

"I don't know what to think of this your Uncle now. Isn't he like, facing financial struggles? Or did he lie about it?" Jaleel asked, a ghost smile tilting the sides of his lips. That smile that always gets to women of all ages, both the green and geriatric.

Abbas himself knew that his friend would've been a ladies' man had he wanted. With a smile that could make any woman's knees turn to jelly and charm that could get him the toughest ice queen if he wanted, he never glance at women in a way that would breach appropriateness. He grew up respecting women albeit not growing up with a mother figure. His mother left the house when he was very young and his father wasn't keen on marrying another woman after her. Some said he was charmed but only God knows why he didn't till he died.

Abbas scoffed at his friend's ridiculous question. "Uncle Ali would rather die than allow anyone to know that he is facing any hassle, financially. And he didn't outright talked about it to anyone. The family tend to poke their noses where they are not summoned so they found that out. I'm doubting what they said though."

"We should go and see what is going on. I'm curious." His monolid eyes got hooded with exoticism. He is a detective after all, he would want to see it for himself. As always.

The duo entered the hospital and were guided to his Uncle's room which happens to be at the exclusive VIP section of the hospital. Isn't that great? The man is definitely trying to finish the little wealth he's got left without thinking about his children's wellbeing. Greedy tyrant. Abbas got no say in his father's family though, he hardly interacts with them if it isn't eerily necessary. Or if he was forced, like in this situation.

They arrived at the exclusive room, the area where everything was more cleaner, fresher and more hygienic. Abbas knocked on the door, a feminine acquiescence sounded from within so he pushed open the door gently afraid the sick might be asleep and he'd risk waking him up. If he is fortunately asleep, then Abbas is going to leave Abuja and go tell his mother that he went there but the man was not waking up so he came back to continue the wedding arrangement. At least the man would the told that he'd came.

Pale walls greeted him when he entered, posh fluorescent lighting, a whiteboard —stating his Uncle's food allergies, diet restrictions, the name of nurses on shift, tests to be performed and by whom— atop a modern and advanced patient bed that is currently empty. A television sat adjacent to the bed, a large bay window with macho blinds, an antibacterial stand at the farther end of the room and a small closet probably containing personal items.

His eyes fell on the set of couches by the right of the window where two petite young ladies sat. One of them was holding a copy of book reading 'Laws Of Royalty' but the name of the author is not visible from where he stood by the door. His brows furrowed when he recognized one of them as his cousin but the younger looking one with a book, she doesn't ring a bell.