Chapter Twenty-Six

Another update in under a week! Let's cross our fingers that this means I can go back to updating at least weekly again :)

Hope you'll enjoy, LOVE YOU GUYS x

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Liam's POV

This day was definitly one of the worst days at work in my life, first the horror of almost seeing my friends die and then all the follow-up work keeping me busy the whole afternoon.

And the day even started off quite relaxed. Since this was supposed to be Niall's last shift at the police station, we tried to enjoy it as much as possible, with blasting music and stolen donuts on our patrol around the city.

I didn't expect it to go haywire right after that.

I'm still finishing my paperwork about the incident of this early afternoon even though the sun is going down already and I haven't left my desk for hours.

I also haven't seen Niall since we got here. He didn't talk much since he fired the shot that killed Fletcher. I think he's still in shock.

When I finally finish my last police log, I hurry to gather my things and leave early. I grab the file about Tony Fletcher's death and make my way to my superior's desk.

But before I get there I see Niall, sitting on a chair, his blonde hair disheveled. His eyes are still as wide and unfocused as they were hours ago. His fingers can't seem to stop picking at the fabric of his loose uniform trousers.

I squat down infront of him, trying to make eye contact but it feels like he doesn't even see me.

"Hey, you okay?" I say to make myself noticed.

At first I think Niall didn't hear me, but when he slowly nods his head, I know he did. But I don't buy it.

"Nialler," I say, put down my things, and touch his knees lightly, "talk to me, man."

As if he has been waiting for my request, he lifts his head to look at me in regret. "I didn't mean to, Liam," he whispers.

"Mean to what?" I furrow my eyebrows in wonder.

"To... to kill him," he says, looking so sad. I've never seen him like this.

"Ni," I start without knowing what to say. I feel so bad for him. He is our youngest captain and I always feel like I need to protect him. I should've been the one to shoot Fletcher.

"I was trying to shoot his arm," Niall insists, "when I saw that he was about to fire a second shot, I knew I had to do something. So I wanted to shoot his arm. He was trying to shoot at Louis again, you saw that, too. Liam, right?" he says, the words falling from his lips at a fast pace, "he was about to shoot again, right? You saw that, too!?"

He looks at me with such intensity that I almost want to look away.

"Of course I did, Niall," I say empathic, "You reacted perfectly fine."

"Louis was already on the ground," Niall says as if trying to reason his actions infront of me, "There was no way for Harry to save Lou again, right? And Harry was on the ground, too. I didn't have a choice," he is ranting now, "but I was trying to shoot his arm. I wanted him to let go of the gun, just let go of it. I was pointing at his arm. I was! I promise..." he shakes his head in defeat.

"Niall, I believe you, you don't have to explain anything. You did the right thing," I try to calm him down.

Suddenly his eyes fill with tears. "I didn't mean to," he huffs, "I had to think about my friends first. He wanted to kill Louis. And Harry was already hit. I just had to do something, but I didn't mean to." I know he is talking to himself by now, not listening to anything I say anymore.