8- sibling love

Y/n's age: 9

You were Harry's younger sister, and of course you were a mummy's girl but you were also a brothers girl. Your brother would always look after you, cook you breakfast, lunch, dinner, even make you the best puddings ever! But your most favourite thing was when he tucked you into bed.

He always made sure you were warm and snuggly and if you requested a bed time story he would do it in an instant, he was the best big brother you could ask for. He was the greatest person to ever exist and you were truly grateful for him.

~

"Y/n it's 10:00, way past your bed time. I let you stay up." He said, he had promised you a movie evening and as usual you didn't want to go to bed on curfew or even after curfew. Harry was going back to London tomorrow and you wanted to stay up with him forever to slow down time.

"C'mon" he said lifting you up into his arms as you began kicking, shoving and whining trying to fight him off "no- no Harry please I want to stay up with you. Please." You begged but he shook his head "mum said bed time for you is at 8... it is now 10. Bed time." He said softly and eventually you just leaned into him your legs wrapped around his waist as you gave up on fighting.

"Can you read me a bed time story? Please?" You asked as he placed you down onto your bed, the duvet covers butterflies and rainbows and he pulled back the covers "because you asked so nicely, yes of course" he said with a playful smile before covering you back up with the duvet, tucking you in all the way making sure you were all snuggly, he then also grabbed your favourite teddy placing it in your hands.

"What book would you like me to read?" He asked sitting down on the edge of the bed as he grabbed a few books placing them on his lap. He showed you the first one "hairy maclary?" He asked showing you the book with the dog on the cover, you shook your head rolling onto your side as you gazed up at your big brother "Peter rabbit?" You shook your head once again and he continued showing you books with the same disapproving shake of the head from you before he pulled out the last book "the hungry caterpillar?" He asked a wide grin forming on your face as you nodded and he chuckled smiling "good choice"

He got comfy on the edge of the bed, lifting his leg up onto the bed so he was sat more comfortably, his other leg remaining on the floor to keep himself up straight before he began reading the book- to you Harry was the best reader, better than your mum and sister because he did the voices and maybe you were too old to still love it but you wouldn't get bored of your brother.

~

By the end of the book you were half asleep, Harry's voice soothing you into somewhat of a sleepy state. He closed the book and placed it quietly on the bedside table before he stood up "I love you" he murmured leaning down, brushing your hair off of your forehead and pressing a kiss to your temple "love you too H" you whispered quietly and as he started to leave the room, your eyes teared up "Harry" you suddenly said, stopping him in his tracks "yes darling?" He asked and you looked at him sadly "you'll come say goodbye to me in the morning, right?" You asked and he nodded his head "of course I will sweetheart" he said gently as he got closer to you again and you stood up on your bed opening your arms asking for a cuddle and he happily obliged wrapping his arms around you as he held you close to his body "I don't want you to go" you whispered and he smiled sadly "I know but I'll be back soon I promise" he assured and you tightened your arms around him latching yourself to his body and he didn't complain, he simply held you, his hands rubbing up and down your back in a comforting manner as he slowly walked around the room, letting you talk your worries to him, your thoughts, how much you were going to miss him and anything else you needed to tell him.

"What are you scared of y/n?" He asked softly and you sniffled tearfully "that you won't come back and I won't be able to have my big brother" you said and he sighed softly "oh honey" he murmured rubbing up and down your back as he started to pace back and forth around the small space of your room, he continued this movement, gently rocking you in his arms and patting your back until he felt your grip on him loosen, your sniffles dying down and your body stilling as your breathing slowed down to the point he could barely hear it.

He held you for twenty minutes longer continuing to simply rock you in his arms, soothing you more and more until he knew you weren't going to wake up for the night, he checked the clock in your room noticing how it was 11:30 he then carefully laid you down onto the bed, gently placing the covers over you before tucking you in gently, leaning down as he pressed a kiss to your cheek "love you y/n" he murmured softly

He then stood up, making sure you were still asleep before he placed your teddy in your arms before leaving the room leaving the night light on for you as he quietly shut the door leaving it open a jar so if you needed anything he'd be able to hear you.

The next morning

Harry awoke that morning, tired but ready. He had a meeting that would last a few hours but y/n thought it was way longer than that, he knew she didn't quite understand anything to do with his job apart from the fact he sang and acted- occasionally.

He made his way into the shower, removing his pyjamas as he got into the shower turning it on, the coldness of the water making him shiver as he closed his eyes, he squirted shampoo into the palm of his hands before massaging the silky liquid into his scalp until his hair was frothy with bubbles.

~

He soon wrapped a towel around himself making his way into his bedroom, where he got changed into his clothes his naturally short curly hair curling into little ringlets which he was sure to brush out. Having curly hair was a pain in the ass. Trust me.

Once he was dressed he made his way out of his room, quietly opening y/n's door as he pushed the door open seeing her fast asleep but he knew she wanted him to say goodbye.

Y/n's POV

you awoke to the feeling of a hand gently rubbing against your head and as you fluttered your eyes open you noticed Harry watching as he brushed the back of his finger against your cheek "morning y/n/n" he said using the nickname he always used for you which you loved. It made you feel special. "I'm going to work now okay? But I promise I'll be back this evening." He said and at that news you sprung out of bed immediately gripping onto him, wrapping yourself around him like a koala "I don't want you to go Harry" you whispered and he looked into your eyes "I know but it isn't for weeks or days it's only for a few hours... I promise." He said gently bouncing you in his arms to try and cheer you up and stop you from crying and you looked into his eyes sadly as you snuggled your face into his neck "but I don't want you to go please" you whispered, Harry's heart melting as he exhaled. How could he say no to that?

He knew he had to go to this meeting, he had pushed it back further before so he couldn't miss it now. "I know you don't but I have to. I promise you I'll be back by 7 tonight okay? Or even earlier if I get let out early yeah?" You nodded slightly but sadly and he held onto your hands "okay how about this... you and mum bake me some cookies, that'll keep you distracted and when I get home you and I can share some cookies together whilst watching Harry Potter." He suggested and you studied his eyes before slowly agreeing as you nodded "okay but promise you'll be back" you said and he nodded "I promise." He said before you held your pinky out to him "pinky promise?" You asked and he let out a soft chuckle before nodding and linking his pinky with yours "you can't break the promise now" you said and he let out a soft chuckle before smiling "I won't break the promise."

~

That day flew by, which you were glad about, but Harry remained on your mind constantly. You and your mum made homemade cookies with icing on them, some of the cookies having the initial 'H' on them and some having random squiggles that you had created and at around 6:57 you filled two glasses up with milk and put a few biscuits on a plate before putting them on the living room tables, before sitting down waiting patiently for Harry.

And just as he promised. He was home. Once again. Much to your relief. 7:00 on the dot.

"Harry!!!" You exclaimed excitedly as you rushed into his embrace gripping onto his T-shirt as he smiled lifting you up into his arms as he spun you around "told you I'd be back didn't I" he said beaming at you and you nodded grinning "now let's have a Harry Potter evening yeah?" He said beaming and you nodded excitedly.

~

You laid in Harry's arms his arm wrapped around your shoulders as the movie played before he tried the cookie as he soon looked down at you surprised "these are really good, are you secretly a chef?" He asked making you giggle as he smiled pressing a kiss to your forehead "that's for me to know and you to find out" you said cheekily as he smiled down at you a happy look on his face. You and him were the best siblings ever, you both adored one another.

Word count: 1789