Chapter 2: Trust

I have always been incredibly shy, and my powers definitely aided in that.

It took a while to warm up to people, to trust people.

I remember the first time I saw Wanda.

I had been on the raft for about 3 years when she arrived.

She walked by my cell. She looked exhausted and had one of those power-controlling collars on, similar to mine.

She was walking in a line with a bunch of other new prisoners. Her eyes were glued to the ground.

But, as she waited in line while another prisoner resisted being put into his cell.

Her eyes snapped up from the ground, looking directly at me.

She lifted an eyebrow and maintained eye contact with me as she began walking with the now-moving line of people. Until she disappeared from my line of sight.

A few minutes later, between the sounds of people hitting the class of their cell and the screaming.

I heard the cell next to mine door open. A grunt, and then a slam.

Great, another screaming neighbor. My old neighbor was a yeller, but he kicked the bucket a few days prior. So, I finally got a little bit of peace.

He was nice though. Besides the yelling. I had no idea what he looked like, but I knew he was old. He would tell me about how he had been on the run for all of his life. But one tip finally led to his capture.

He spent most of his time crying for his family, but when he wasnt, he was lovely.

I heard another grunt, sounding like it was from pain coming from the cell next to mine.

It happened a few times, then I heard a sigh.

"It's going to keep shocking you," I said, in barely a whisper.

"Hello?" I heard a female voice say.

I honestly didn't expect whoever was on the other side of the glass to hear me.

I couldn't bring myself to respond. That newfound boldness I had previously had, very much disappeared.

"Wanda."

My eyes shot up to the wall between our cells.

"My name. It's Wanda."

I got off of my cot very slowly and went towards the wall. Sitting on the floor with my back against it.

"Y/n." I said, again, barely in a whisper.

"Y/n.." She said as if she was testing out my name.

We sat in silence for a long time, until it was lights out.

This was our routine for a while. I could always sense when she was sitting against the wall, and it felt like she could sense when I was there as well.

It was comforting.

"Y/n?"

My attention got brought back to reality.

I didn't answer, but she knew she had my attention.

"How long have you been here?" She said it like she was afraid to spook a stray cat.

There was a long silence.

"4 years..." I said, this time, not in a whisper.

I waited in response.

".... How old are you?" Wanda said,

"23."

I heard her sigh.