Chapter 4: Disappearing Act

Honestly, I felt like a new me. I had friends for the first time in my life. I felt like I was a part of something, a family.

I've used my voice more in the past few months than I have in 23 years.

I really expected my vocal cords to stop functioning, because they were not used to being used so often.

In the beginning, I was more comfortable with the women on the team. Interacting and talking to people took a lot of work. But it was a lot easier when it was with females. I think that was because of my mother.

But talking to the men on the team, was a little more challenging.

When I was in combat, I was the most confident person. Maybe because of my training, or because I didn't have to talk to the enemy.

The men on the team, bless their hearts, were so understanding, kind, and gentle. They knew I needed time. And eventually, that issue was resolved.

Unless I was on a mission and it was necessary, I spent most of my time visible.

That was another new experience for me.

I didn't need to be invisible in the compound. I was an equal, I had respect and friendship.

All of these thoughts were going through my head as I was in the elevator, going down for breakfast.

The elevator stopped, and Wanda got on. We smiled at each other.

We began talking like we always did. The elevator dinged and the doors opened.

We walked towards the kitchen, hearing the usual morning chatter.

As we turned the corner into the kitchen, I was looking at Wanda as we talked. We were not paying much attention to the others.

I walked to the counter and grabbed the coffee pot. And Wanda got the mugs, she knew my favorite was the one that changed colors when it was either hot or cold. Clint gave it to me a while ago because he said it made him think of me.

I was still talking to Wanda, oblivious to my surroundings. Drowning out the other conversations happening in the room.

I filled Wanda and I's coffees, while she poured the cream in.

I heard the elevator ding, and I hear Steve's voice.

I was listening to Wanda's long-winded complaining about how much sugar I was putting in my coffee. She did this every day. I was leaning against the counter while listening to her. Taking a long sip of my coffee. Humming in response to the caffeine that I loved so much. I heard Steve enter the room.

"Everyone, this is Bucky."

I turned to look at Steve.

He looked really happy.

My eyes trailed to the figure glooming next to him. The man's eyes trained on the ground, hands in his pockets.

Just as I was inspecting the man, his eyes trailed up. And caught mine.

I felt heat instantly travel into my face. I darted my eyes down to my coffee. Staring at the cup in my hand.

"Y/n?" Wanda whispered while Steve was talking.

"Hmm?" I hummed (barely) in response.

"Are you okay?"

"Yeah.." I whispered.

"Are you sure?"

"Yea."

"Really? Cause you just disappeared."