Chapter 20: Unanswered Questions

(Inner dialog will be in Italics)

Our POV:

The last thing I remember is looking at the door to my hospital room, expecting to see Bucky or Wanda, but instead being met with a bunch of unfamiliar faces.

I honestly don't know what happened.

Maybe it was seeing my mom, and then being surrounded by doctors, just like how it happened before.

My fight-or-flight instincts kicked in. Except, Flight has never been an option.

The next thing I know, I am standing, feeling the dull pain of a wound that was partially healed. Blood running down my arm.

Pieces of a chair spread across the room, and some horrified-looking doctors huddled in a corner.

Wanda and Bucky were staring at me with a surprised look.

"Not really a fan of–" I said, out of breath.

Looking around at the situation that I, or well, a part of me, created.

"Being surrounded by doctors." I tried to lighten the mood, but when I looked at the doctors, trying to give my most innocent smile, they all flinched at my gaze.

"Sorry."

I couldn't help but close my eyes. I already knew my powers were not going to work. My body was too tired from healing, all of my energy being used to keep me alive.

But God, this is the exact moment that I would love to disappear.

I opened my eyes to Wanda coming next to me,

"Let's sit down for a minute." She said, Taking my hand and supporting me as I lowered myself, gently, onto the side of the bed.

She was saying reassuring things, my gaze drifted to the floor, but my attention was on Bucky.

I could hear him shuffle over to the doctors as Wanda was helping me.

Trying to be as quiet as possible, I heard him try to whisper, but it had an underlying tone of irritation.

"Get up." He said through gritted teeth.

"Sir, she–" One of them spoke up but instantly stopped mid-sentence.

Bucky must have given him a warning look.

I heard a few grunts, and riffling of clothing. When I finally took my eyes off the floor, looking in the direction of Bucky.

As he turned, his eyes caught mine looking at him.

That stern face disappeared into a smile, one of 'I'll play this off, everything is fine.'

"See, everything is fine." He said, trying to sound reassuring while dusting off one of the doctor's coats.

The doctor turned to him, opening his mouth to say something, but glanced at him, his smile barely wavering, but the doctor instantly closed his mouth.

"I'm sorry. I didn't mean to—" I said to the doctors.

Bucky rushed over to me, getting directly in front of me, he kneeled on the ground. Putting his hands on my knees, looking up into my eyes.

"Hey, hey. It's okay. It wasn't your fault. And, they are fine, right guys?" He said sweetly,

I turned to look at the doctors across the room, they looked between each other.

I saw all 4 of them glance at Bucky in front of me, eyes widening slightly, before vigorously nodding in agreement with Bucky's statement.

As Bucky helped me lay down again, Wanda made her way over to the doctors, talking in a hushed tone, but I could tell from her body that she was pissed.