12-avengers

[Banner continuously scans with a gamma ray detection scanner on the scepter for radiation. Tony looks at his monitors, shifting and solving as many algorithms and equations.]

BANNER: The gamma readings are definitely consistent with Selvig's reports on the Tesseract. But it's gonna take weeks to process.

TONY: If we bypass their mainframe and direct a reroute to the Homer cluster, we can clock this around six hundred teraflops.

BANNER: All I packed was a toothbrush.

TONY: (SMILES) You know, you should come by STARK TOWER sometime. Top ten floors, all R&D. You'd love it, it's candy land.

BANNER: Thanks, but the last time I was in New York I kind of broke...Harlem.

TONY: Well, I promise a stress free environment. No tension. No surprises.

[Suddenly, Tony pokes Banner with a MINIATURE ELECTRICAL PROD. Steve walks in on them, pissed at Tony.]

BANNER: OW!

[Tony looks at Banner closely.]

STEVE: Hey!

TONY: Nothing?

STEVE: Are you nuts?

TONY: You really have got a lid on it, haven't you? What's your secret? Mellow jazz? Bongo drums? Huge bag of weed?

STEVE: Is everything a joke to you?

TONY: Funny things are.

STEVE: Threatening the safety of everyone on this ship isn't funny. No offense, Doctor.

BANNER: No, it's alright. I wouldn't have come aboard if I couldn't handle pointy things.

TONY: You're tiptoeing, big man. You need to strut.

STEVE: And you need to focus on the problem, Mr. Stark.

TONY: You think I'm not? Why did Fury call us and why now? Why not before? What isn't he telling us? I can't do the equation unless I have all the variables.

STEVE: You think Fury's hiding something?

TONY: He's a spy. Captain, he's the spy. His secrets have secrets. (points to Banner) It's bugging him too, isn't it?

BANNER: (bobbling the words) Uh...I just wanna finish my work here and...

STEVE: Doctor?

[A beat.]

BANNER: 'A warm light for all mankind, Loki's jab at Fury about the cube.

STEVE: I heard it.

BANNER: (pointing at Tony) Well, I think that was meant for you. Even if Barton didn't post that all over the news.

STEVE: Stark Tower? That big ugly (Tony gives him a look) ...building in New York?

BANNER: It's powered by Stark Reactors, self-sustaining energy source. That building will run itself for what, a year?

TONY: That's just the prototype. I'm kind of the only name in clean energy right now.

BANNER: (referring to Tony) So, why didn't SHIELD bring him in on the Tesseract project? I mean, what are they doing in the energy business in the first place?

TONY: I should probably look into that once my decryption programmer finishes breaking into all of SHIELD's secure files.

STEVE: (taken aback by that) I'm sorry, did you say...?