Somewhere Only We Know - Sparky Kane

Los Santos was a crazy place filled with crime, drugs and lies. Everyone knew everyone's business and nothing stayed secret for long. That was something that Sparky had always hated, but only when it affected him. He loved to be in the know about everyone, but he didn't want anyone to know about him. He liked to keep himself to himself. He had a secret spot he would drive to and watch the world pass by. No one knew this waterfall even existed in Los Santos, it was his perfect haven.

He had spent the last few hours finalising some plans for the next heist that him and the rest of his boys were undergoing. He smiled with the boys and told them he would be back soon. He told them he had business to handle, only boring stuff. That was how he knew no one would want to come along. He jumped in his car and sped the entire way to his secret spot. He parked his car in the hidden car park, it seemed abandoned as the walls were covered with ivy and cracks appearing along the walls. He grabbed a few joints he had pre rolled earlier in the day and slotted them into a small tin that he placed in his back pocket. He stepped out of the vehicle and began the slight hike to his favourite spot.

He paid close attention to his surroundings. He loved the sound of the water crashing against the land, the rustling of the leaves as the wind caressed every edge. The grass still appeared untouched, he was so glad that he had this secret spot that no one had seemed to discover. It was a place he could hide from the drama and embrace his thoughts. He stopped in his tracks as he pulled a joint from his pocket and lit it before continuing on his trek. The sound of the waterfall becoming louder with every step, he began to smile into every inhale. Nothing could be more precious than a place that nobody else knew. That was until he glanced at his phone and crashed into another body. His phone fell from his hand as he looked up in shock. For a second he thought he stepped into a tree, something he had done in the past, but he felt the weight of someone fall to the ground. His eyes fell across a woman, similar age to him. She had long vibrant coloured hair that she had swept back from her face and her eyes were nearly as vibrant as her hair. He was in shock. Not only was the waterfall not secret but he stumbled upon someone so beautiful.

"I'm so sorry." He mumbled as he held his hand out to help her up. Her dress all scrunched beneath her and her glasses askew on her face. "I wasn't expecting anyone to be around here."

"Me neither, it's normally just me..." she squeaked, her voice was timid, which was unlike her appearance. "I didn't know anyone else knew about this place." Sparky smiled gently at the girl before him. He was rarely lost for words but something about her seemed different.

"It's where I come to hide from everyone, a place I normally think about what happens next." He wasn't sure why he said that, even though it was true. He felt like he could trust her, something about this place made him see the world differently.

"It's where I come to escape. When the world is too much, when friends have caused me enough stress, I scream out my issues to the water and then I'm cured. Nothing can't be fixed by the magic this place holds." The glisten in her eyes as she spoke mesmerised Sparky. He hadn't seen someone talk with so much passion in a long time, and even then it was normally Tommy talking about how the gang need to push on.

"Do you maybe want to join me? I only just got here..." Sparky gestured as he started to walk again. The girl nodded politely before handing him his phone that he had completely forgotten about in his mesmerised state. "Oh shit, good job someone has a brain." He nervously laughed, the silence taking small knocks out of his confidence.

He struggled to come up with small talk, something very unlike him. He could talk for hours about nothing, but the thought of someone else knowing his secret was playing on his mind. The air felt heavier than normal, his shirt seeming to cling to his body tighter. He felt his heart rate increase. Any normal person would call it nerves but Sparky didn't know nervous, he was never fazed by that sort of thing. He felt his phone vibrate hundreds of times, he knew it would be the boys checking up on him but he didn't care. He finally stopped walking and looked out to the water. The girl followed behind slowly, she was embracing every second of the moment. The waterfall had never seemed so peaceful.

"Do you come here often?" Her voice quiet against the crashing of the water. Sparky could only just make out her words. He shrugged, not sure how much he wanted to admit. "I'm probably here every day. Normally around sunset. Nothing could beat the beauty of that." She smiled as she stared out across the grass and rock. Sparky chuckled gently to himself, 'she clearly hasn't looked in the mirror' was all he heard in his mind. He shook his head at the thought, he didn't need those thoughts right now. He would have jumped at the chance to flatter the girl, but it didn't feel right.

"I don't think I've ever been around those times. Normally busy with the boys." Sparky turned to the girl, he didn't want to say too much, considering he knew nothing about her. "What do you normally get up to?"

"Oh, me. Not a lot. I try my best to keep my head down. I wasn't ever really one for trouble..." she shrugged. She recognised the gang markings on his vest when they bumped into each other. Everyone knew who the Mandem were, she just hadn't had the joys of meeting a member. "I guess that's the opposite to you." A light smile flashed across her face before she looked down and played with the hem of her dress. The Mandem were always known for being good people, that was until things didn't go their way.

"I'm not for trouble, I just can't keep out of it. It kinda follows me..." Sparky tried to lie but when her eyes fell on his skin he knew he wouldn't get out of it that easily. "Alright, maybe I like it. Nothing wrong with a bit of a thrill. I promise, I'm not a bad guy, I just get up to no good."

"I never said you were a bad guy. I said I keep my head down. If you wanna fuck around and find out, I'm all for it. I'm not exactly perfect, I just don't think the 'gang' life is for me." She threw her hands up for quotation marks when she said the word gang. This only caused Sparky to laugh. "What? What is so funny about what I just said?"

"Nothing." Sparky continued to chuckle. "It's more of a family when you think about it."

"Maybe I don't need a family," the girl smirked back. "What if I'm not meant to belong with anyone? What if I was meant to just float between families?" The glisten in her eye faded as she began to question her existence. Sparky could see she was struggling but didn't know how to interrupt this vicious cycle she had gotten herself caught up in. "Like, what if I just jumped into the water and stayed there? I could make a little home under the waterfall. You could keep me company. It would be like a secret little hiding place."

"You don't need to live here for it to be a secret hiding place, you know that right?" Sparky smiled sweetly. He could see that her thoughts had finally stopped spiralling. "We could meet up here and just chat, if you wanted it to. We might get better advice from each other, opposed to the water." The girl turned to face him. Her face beamed as her eyes darted across his face and the landscape behind him.

"You think I need advice, from you, Mr Gangster?" Her beaming grin was replaced with a cheekiness that Sparky began to love. "I think you'll be needing to lay low in my waterfall home."

"Fine, maybe I'll need your advice. But we could make it a special place that only we know?" Sparky rolled his eyes in defeat. "We don't have to talk, we could just sit in peace, together, and enjoy the sunset?"

"Sounds like a date, Mr Kane." She smirked as she started to walk away from Sparky.

"Wait, you know who I am? How will we arrange to meet again?" Sparky called after her, panic and confusion in his voice.

"Everyone and their dog would recognise you. A loved artist from a well known gang, you're on everyone's radar. Here's my number, I've got to run!" She quickly scribbled her number onto a spare rolling paper she found in her pocket. She handed him it before turning on her heels for the final time. "What's your name?" Sparky yelled after her as he typed the number in his phone, ignoring the barrage of messages and missed calls.

"You can just call me Secret. I'll be waiting for your call, Mr Kane!" Her laugh echoed as she run out of his view. Sparky just smirked to himself as he saved her number. His phone began to vibrate once more. Tommy's name flashing up, he decided he can't keep hiding any longer.

"SK, where the fuck are you?" Tommy snapped down the phone. "Nice to hear from you too T, I'm on my way back. Give me 10." Sparky giggled back. With that the phone call ended, he looked down to see his contacts still open. Secret, well she was going to be something.