Chapter 7

I felt like I was going through Deja Vu all over again. I was crying on the kitchen floor of the Sturniolo's house again with the triplets surrounding me. It was the same all over again, we were just older.

I looked up at the triplets.

"Can one of you guys call your mom and have her call the school and tell them I'm not coming for at least a week."

Nick and Chris went to go call their mother leaving me and Matt alone in the kitchen on the floor.

"He's dead. I don't have anyone anymore.."

"You have me."

I looked up at Matt and kissed him. Matt was right. I wasn't necessarily alone. I had them. All 3 of them.

"You should just leave me here. I'm fine. Don't worry about me." 

"I'm not leaving you here."

"Matt.."

"Char. It's okay to cry. It's okay to be angry. Hell, it's okay to just not be okay." He rubbed my back a bit making me feel safe. "Now do you want a hug or do you want me to leave you alone?"

"Stay here. Please. I could use that hug right about now."

I fell into Matt's arms and completely lost it.

-------------

Mary Lou had shown up at the house about an hour later and I hugged her tight. She was basically more of my mother than my own mother. She had grown up with both of my parents and now they were both dead. My mom and Mary Lou always wanted to have kids close in age so we could be friends. Neither of them ever expected for the 4 of us to be this close.

"Charlotte. You know you can stay with us for as long as you need to. I've talked with people already. Apparently, your father had a funeral planned out in his will, so you don't have to plan any of that."

I saw my father going through grief and planning my Mother's funeral. He was so depressed, and I'm glad he had one planned.

I turned to Matt.

"Can you drive me to the apartment so I can pick up some stuff?"

"Yeah. Let me grab my coat."

We got in the car and I connected my aux. I looked over to Matt.

"Play whatever you want."

I smile and Matt takes my hand.

I played 5 seconds of summer "Me, Myself and I"

I looked at the night sky while the lyrics played in the background.

"I guess, I guess I got what I wanted I never knew what I needed Leave it up to me to fuck it up without a good reason I know, I know that it was my own fault I never picked up that phone call Oh lord all these broke hearts but mine's the one bleeding"

I closed my eyes and just listened.

"I know you wish me wellAnd that's what makes me want to dieI did not need your helpNow it's just me, myself, and I (la la lie la la lie la lie lie)Now it's just me, myself, and I (la la lie la la lie la lie lie)Now it's just me, myself, and I "

-------------

Matt and I got out of the car and I walked over to the door of the apartment. I held the key in my hand realizing my father wasn't gonna be in there.

I took a deep breath and walked in. Everything looked normal. Maybe he just died..

I run up to my room and grabbed some clothes and my daily medications. Matt was looking at the stuff on my dresser when he saw something.

"Hey Char? What's this?"

I walk over to Matt who's holding a letter.

"No idea."

We open it and read it.

Charlotte,

I'm sorry. I truly am.. I'm not sure when you'll find this letter, but it's here. I honestly couldn't handle being without your mother any longer. I've hidden it all from you. I told everyone to tell you i passed of a heart attack, because i didn't want you to know the truth. I didn't want you to have to deal with funeral plans and the will. I gave the car to you. Have Matt teach you how to drive. I'm sorry I won't be there for your graduation or your wedding. You have a good guy there kiddo. Keep him.

love, Dad

P.S. Talk to my lawyer. There's money for you. A lot actually.