Chapter 8

I was angry at my father. He killed himself.

"That fucking bastard."

I sat on Matt's bed while he was in the living room with Nick and Chris after I said I needed a minute.

Nick kept telling Matt that I'd be okay, but Matt was skeptical.

"She'll be okay."

"Will she? He killed himself Nick. She turns 18 next week and she graduates this year and he's not going to be here for any of it."

I heard Matt and Nick arguing about me.

"Guys. I'm fine."

I sat on the couch and they looked at me.

"I'm serious. I'm fine."

The three of them all sat around me.

"Are you sure your okay?"

"Yeah. That asshole fucking killed himself. I'm not gonna cry anymore."

"Charlotte.."

"Seriously guys. I'm fine. Let's go film the video."

----------

I sat on the couch just staring at the roof. Nick and Matt were in their rooms while Chris was in the kitchen trying to find a Pepsi.

Matt put an airpod in his ear and pressed on the link I sent to him and I put both of mine in my ears. I opened up spotify and played "Part Of Me" By Katy Perry. I let myself loose.

Days like this I want to drive awayPack my bags and watch your shadow fadeYou chewed me up and spit me outLike I was poison in your mouthYou took my light, you drain me downThat was then and this is nowNow look at me

Chris watched me from the kitchen.

"Can I help you?"

Chris walked over to me.

"I'm just watching."

"That's kinda creepy."

"Is it though?"

I pulled Chris close to me and kissed him, then almost instantly pushed him away.

"What the fuck Chris!"

"You kissed me!"

"I know!"

I run outside and slam the door shut. I fall to my knees in the middle of the front yard in tears. I was falling apart.I was holding on with everything I had left in me.

——————

Matt leaned up against his head board and listening to Dandelions by Ruth B. Matt looked around the room and felt something was wrong. He put his airpod back in its case and walked into the living room.

"Where's Charlotte?"

"Uhm.. outside."

"What do you mean outside? It's freezing out there!"

Matt opened the door and saw me in the yard. I had been out there for a good 10 minutes.

"Char?"

I was in like a trance. I could hear Matt in the back of my head.

"Charlotte?"

Matt came over next to me.

I came out of whatever I was in and turned to Matt and hugged him.

"Come on, let's go inside."

"Matt?"

"Yeah?"

"Please don't ever leave me."

"I don't plan on it."